We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in NY

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
1 night in NY

Hi all,

My hubby is coming to NY for 1 day and night only before coming back to UK - any suggestions on which area to stay in? He's probably going to be wanting a little shopping time (for me lol) and maybe off to Statue of Liberty and then some nightlife - any tips?

Thanks

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night in NY

It is difficult to help you with such limited information.

What is his budget? Is this for business or leisure?

Is he coming in by train from somewhere in New Jersey or Pennsylvania after a meeting? Is he flying in from elsewhere in the U.S.? Is he coming in from the UK just for a one-day shopping trip.

What is his budget? Does he want to be near transportation or is he planning to use a taxi for everything?

You've given us next to nothing so it is difficult to answer.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night in NY

Sorry :) Wasn't sure how much detail to give n end up boring everyone lol

He's flying in from North Carolina (working there for 2 weeks) on a Sat morning (arriving approx 8am to JFK) and then flying back again Sunday lunch time approx 12pm. He'll just be there for the day for leisure before returning to NC and then straight back to UK so will just be a little trip to buy me something nice and soak up the NY atmosphere :)

I'm guessing he'll probably want to taxi it to n from airport but once in NY will be happy to use train/tube whatever you guys call it :)

Not sure about budget - prob around £150 per night for hotel (think that's around $230) but cheaper the better without being a hostel - he'd like a private bathroom and in a 'safe' area but think he's flexible. Think he'd like to be relatively close to stuff, say max 15-20mins on train/tube?

Hope this helps a bit more?!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night in NY

Hotel prices fluctuate wildly by date so we still don't know when this is happening. Prices in August are much less than prices in Sept. or Oct.

I'd say for a one day trip, ideally he should stay in Manhattan. Anywhere near a subway station will work. For one night he might bid on Priceline for a room in Times Square at a 4* hotel and MIGHT get it for $200/night plus tax IF it's in August. The other option is to stay in Long Island City, an area just outside Manhattan on the same side of the island as JFK.. The hotels there that are well located near the subway include the Comfort Inn, the Verve, the Country Inn & Suites, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Vetiver and the Fairfield Inn Queensborough Bridge. (There are quite a few other hotels in Long island city that are likely to be cheaper but they're not near a subway).

Map

http://goo.gl/maps/KLBOu

Now, what is it he's going to be shopping for for you? We can help him find a store. .)

As to sightseeing, to just see the Statue of Liberty, most any cruise will get close.

goldstar.com

may have discounts for one of the cruises. He shouldn't expect to see the statue close by riding the Staten Island ferry. It is free and you do get nice views of Manhattan, but the statue will be in the far distance.

nywatertaxi.com

is one fun option.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night in NY

That's great!! Thanks n apologies again for my lack of info, being an airhead lol he's going to be coming on 24th Aug so I'll check out your recommendations :)

I haven't decided what I want lol I did say something from Tiffanys but think I've got no chance of that lol prob more likely one of the little brown bags from Macy's (I think that's where they're from) :)

Any particular good kids toys shops I can send him to for our little boy? (18months)

R there any MUST DO things for just a 24hour stop?

And where should he go for cheaper drinks/clubs etc? He's kinda into all types of music but dance/pop/r&b prob easiest?!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night in NY

Well if he really wants cheap, the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City can be booked on their own website for $136 plus tax and they include free light breakfast and free wifi. It's one stop on the subway from Manhattan. But for just a day, I think I'd "splurge" and get a room in Manhattan. There are plenty of options around $200. If he wants to be in all the hubbub of Times Square, the Best Western President can be booked for $190-212 plus tax depending on whether you prepay or not. The Hampton Inn Seaport is a lovely hotel downtown near the water and is $197 plus tax and they include breakfast. If you want him to stay near Tiffany's, the Shoreham is $200 plus tax on travelocity.com and even nicer the Renaissance 57 is $199 plus tax.

There are a number of cos. that do an overview tour for a day.

freetoursbyfoot.com

asks you just tip the guide, but he'd probably prefer just seeing things on his own with such a short time. Top of the Rock is worth a visit (better than Empire state) and Central Park this time of year is wonderful.

If you like silver, Tiffany has many affordable things in silver. One popular item is a heart bracelet. I think you can look on

tiffany.com

but it may default to the UK site. I've found if I want something specific, I have to be specific. :)

The famous toy store FAO Schwartz is just down the block from Tiffany's. They have great stuffed toys.

drinkdeal.com

is a site for finding good deals on drinks by area and by day of the week. Someone else will have to help with music.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night in NY

WOW! Thanks soooooo much for all this - I'm sure you've basically just planned his trip for us :)

I'll get looking at those Manhattan hotels cos I agree, being there just for the day he should really be in the thick of it n pay the bit extra :)

Thanks again!

7. Re: 1 night in NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:18