We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Hotel Maids

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Hotel Maids

My guide book says you should tip Hotel Maids, $2 dollars per day. I was wondering is this enough and also, when do i leave the tip? Each morning or at the end of my stay?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

This is something I've wondered about too. I used to leave more, until I read $2/3 a day is standard. And, any article I've read has always said, leave it daily, since there may be different maids from day to day.

I've always figured maids are a pretty hard-working bunch...

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

Leaving it daily is good I think, as then the maid that does your room gets the tip rather than the one that does the last day.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

I once read that the hotel one maid worked in wouldn't let the maid keep the tip unless it was marked. Ever since then, I take off a sheet from one of the ubiquitous scratch pads & write "For housekeeping", fold the paper & put the tip in it & put it under the tv remote on either the tv table/cabinet or bedside table so that it doesn't get lost. I also leave $2/day unless there is some reason that they performed extra services & then I increase accordingly.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

Thanks for the replies, they have made my mind up. I will leave a note with the tip, each day 😄

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,553 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

We leave $5.00 on the pillow each day. I spent a summer many years ago as a housekeeper. Think about cleaning fifteen toilets, stripping and remaking multiple beds, sweeping, dusting, and trying to finish as quickly as possible and all for minimum wage. Its a very difficult job.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 20:04
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

When I travel alone I leave $2 every day. When I recently traveled with family and 3 people in the room we left $5.00 (only there 1 ni) so left it on departure. The maid was right there so I handed it to her before getting on the elevator. When I travel I leave everything in my suitcase and in the bathroom all my makeup is left in my cases so I don't leave things strewn about. Since you're traveling alone it may be the same for you. Unless you are particularly messy :) It was a Comfort Inn when I was with my Mom & Sister and we only slept in the room after a late meeting and got up and left the next morning.

These are not $$$$ hotels. I'm guessing you aren't staying in one of those.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

I am actually travelling with my wife to the Distrikt Hotel. We dont usually leave much mess, to be honest.

I do imagine Housekeeping being a very tough job, cleaning up after people. I am glad that people here have said leave the tip each day. Previously, we have always left the tip at the end of our stay. The maid that cleans each day, deserves the tip.

Thank you all

Mentioned in this post
Distrikt Hotel New York City
Distrikt Hotel New York...
5,751 Reviews
New York City, NY
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

I usually leave 5$ every 2 days with a note thanking them for the service. I was surprised to have one of the maids thanking me profusely when I came back saying that meant I had respect for her work and she seemed touched by it. I think the majority of people don't leave a tip for them and they probably have one of the more tough jobs around!

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

The maid left us a lovely thank you note every day, I even kept one of her notes, I know I know silly but it is in with all my other paper souvenirs.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

We leave $5/day, every day (you might have a different person every day, therefore waiting until the end could seriously short those that did the work, and overly benefit the one lucky enough to be there on the last day.

I also leave a note "For Housekeeping - thank you" and that's the time I also ask for anything we need (extra whatevers, this or that is broken, etc.). I leave it on the pillow.