We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free in NYC!

Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free in NYC!

I'm heading over to the US (San Fran for 4 nights and NY for 10 nights) in Nov/Dec. I'm fructose intolerant which means I can't eat gluten and various other foods (sucks!). But does anyone have recommendations for gluten free eateries/restaurants/bars/shops in NY? Budget doesn't bother me too much. I just want to be able to eat good food! :D

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Welcome to the forum Emma. There's a pretty good search engine for looking at previous threads on any topic. If you put gluten free into the box just to the left of the words New York City forums and then click search you'll find a lot of info. On one of those threads, someone posted this map of gluten free restaurants and stores.

http://goo.gl/maps/fVpb

One of the most popular gluten free restaurants is a place called Risotteria. Here's one of many lists online you'd find if you did a google search

…cbslocal.com/top-lists/…

Bedford, NH
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Planning my trip for next week, I found this:

http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/

Plug in the address or area that you will be in and "voila" up pops bubbles to indicate where the restaurants, pizza joints, bakeries, coffee shops or grocers that offer gluten free menus or items! Each bubble also contains the website for the particular place, so you can check out the menus in advance. My son and I are wheat and dairy free eaters and plan to visit these places, especially for lunches:

bareburger (several locations) http://www.bareburger.com/menu/

4food (40th & Madison) http://4food.com/

Chipotle (they are everywhere)

Also a dairy-free ice cream place: lulu's sweet apothecary on 6th in the East Village.

Bon Appetit!

Bedford, NH
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

should also mention that glutenfreeregistry is also an app for smart phones.

I have an antiquated flip phone so that won't work for me, but perhaps you are more technologically evolved than I, and can make use of that.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Hi. I have celiac. I hate my life.

It's actually quite pleasant and surprising that many restaurants in the touristy parts of Manhattan know what gluten is and how to deal with it. As you enter areas that are less wealthy and less white, like my neighborhood, awareness drops SHARPLY. "Gluten, what is that?" That is my whole neighborhood. Sigh.

But enough about me, let's talk about you. Five Napkin Burger is great. Gluten aware and they always have a gluten free beer or cider on the menu.

There's a diner at 82nd and Broadway, Cafe 82, which has the only gluten free waffles and pancakes I've found in the city - YAY!

The Morris Grilled Cheese truck has unusually good GF bread and grilled cheese sandwiches to die for.

Glaze Teriyaki Grill makes a good fast-food option in midtown. It's fast food, but well positioned for a quick meal while shopping. Chipotle is another good GF aware fast food chain.

Rosa Mexicano, high-end Mexican very well done, knows GF.

Shake Shack will give you any burger as a lettuce wrap, which is a little messy. But Schnipper's is a block away from Shake Shack and will do full-on GF burgers, sloppy joes, chicken fingers and fries. Superior!

Thai places in Manhattan that mostly cater to white people can cope with GF and give you GF pad Thai easily.

Most pubs have cider. All bars have tequila. :)

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Oh, all of Danny Meyer's restaurants are gluten aware because when he was much younger he accidentally nearly killed a kid with an allergy and resolved to never let that happen again. I've been to Blue Smoke for BBQ several times.

http://www.ushgnyc.com/family/restaurants/

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Emma, it's not quite clear what your budget is. But any restaurant that has an average check (for dinner, no alcohol or tip) of $35-$40 per person or more is going to be used to your request. Most have flags in their order computers that mark the order for anyone on the staff who reads it.

You did ask in your OP for gluten-free RESTAURANTS, which limits the choice considerably, although it is safer for you. OTOH, my mother, like some other GF diners, is also sensitive to Canola Oil. Imagine our surprise when we sat down at Risotteria, ready for a good time, only to learn that everything is cooked with Canola Oil!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Hah. I can't think of the last time I've eaten at a restaurant where the check, no alcohol or tip, cost $40 or more per person. I must defer.

New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

I have Celiac too and I rely on that map that NYWhiz posted. I too, love the Risotteria.

A couple of newer discoveries:

Keste, across from the Risotteria, has a great chewy crust GF pizza.

Cafe Lalo, on the Upper West Side, does a GF Belgian Waffle that I eat allllll the time. (They also have a few GF cakes now.)

The Counter, a newish burger place in Times Square, does GF buns and fries. Not really worth going out of your way for, but good if you happen to be there and hungry.

Rubirosa, with is in SoHo sort of just north of the main "Little Italy" drag is often recommended on here and they have a great GF menu, complete with GF mozzarella sticks, which made me very excited!

S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Definitely check out Risoterria. There are so many options in the city...I don't particularly like Times Square - but when I did venture there, it was harder for a gf vegetarian.

Soho/Nolita has great options as well.

Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten Free in NYC!

Definitely going to check out cafe 82! I can't really go to America without eating waffles! Thanks guys I'm really looking forward to checking out all these places and not spending my entire trip feeling awful from eating gluten!