We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

We're taking the kids 9 and 11, to the Intrepid Museum. Are there any other attractions or restaurants nearby, within walking distance, that youngsters might enjoy?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

I like www.menupages.com for read restaurant reviews and search for restaurants by location, cuisine, cost, etc.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

Daisy mae's barbecue

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

The Intrepid itself has an Au Bon Pain aboard which has good family friendly food. (It's a chain, I know - but we don't have them here - we enjoyed it).

As far as attractions go, you are very close to the Circle Line sightseeing cruise docking point. That would be fun!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

Print a pricier restaurant inside the ink48 hotel is the only other place I can think of nearby. Slightly further you have a plethora of Mexican bodegas and Sullivan st bakery on 47th has some nice sandwiches, white pizzas and sweets.

If you are walking toward Times Square there are all sorts of other options on 9th ave.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

Very near the Intrepid there is the Circle line boat pier where you can do a trip around part or all of Manhatten island. My kids really enjoyed this - if you do this trip, as you look out towards the boat, try to sit on the left hand side of the boat as the views are great.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

Although it's the weakest of his public works, there's a Tom Otterness (Marlborough Gallery sculptor) bronze statue-public playground in Silver Towers apartments, off 42nd between 10th and 11th. There's the automated luggage machine in the window of the Yotel hotel, nice new public theater lobby with bar, café, touch-screens, and bookstore at Signature Theater (42/10th), and besides 9th, there are a few restaurants on 10th (44-42), like Pio Pio ($9.95 chicken lunch special, three courses) and Hallo Berlin, low-priced meats, soups, and lots of beers.

But, no, it's kind of an isolated location unless you're going to the Chinese Consulate. Much pricier, for some reason after Intrepid, we go to Churrascaria Plataforma (49 off 8th) for the 5-7 weekday happy hour Caipirinhas!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

Wow! Thanks for all of the ideas. I feel better having some locations to check out rather than wandering around aimlessly.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

If you visit the playground, I hope you will also spend some time in the 14th St and 8th Ave subway station for the A,C, and E (a good stop for the Highline) because you will see lots of his sculptures there.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

I don't know if it's permanently closed, but as f this last weekend, the Silver Towers Playground was all wrapped up, covered and fenced away from public use. Sad but true. If you're looking for a playground, a short cab ride down 12th will take you to the Chelsea Waterside Park.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: attractions/restaurants near Intrepid museum

Ztacks is right. I took my 8 year-old down to the 14th St and 8th Ave subway station to check out the sculptures. They're all about a foot tall and hidden throughout the station. From there you can take the L line two stops to Union Square or a little further out to the Brooklyn Bridge. From there, right at the bottom of the Brooklyn Bridge is the Brooklyn Bridge Park, Jane's Carousel and the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. There's also pedestrian access to the bridge to get those once-in-a-lifetime souvenir pics.

The reason I bring up all that Brooklyn jazz is because the other way to do it is from the Water Taxi which is right beside the Intrepid. It will take you to Ground Zero and then to Brooklyn Bridge Park.