We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

Hello, we are a group of 6, all over 20 who are going to New York. We found out that Hotels were way to expensive, so we want to rent an apartment instead. Seems easier said that done, most are already booked.

My question is, how far is too far when it comes to the location of the apartment?

I always been a fan of subways/metro, so that's not a problem at all, but the "best" I have found at the moment is a great apartment, but it's located in Astoria, near Dimitars Blvd, the LAST stop on the yellow metro line. Would you say that this is too far away from the centre of New York, as a tourist staying in NY for only 7 days? Or is it fine?

Edited: 11 August 2013, 20:32
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

Apartment rentals of less than 30 days in NYC are generally illegal. That would be the bigger issue. What's your budget, your exact travel dates, and how many beds do you need?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

You are taking a BIG risk renting an apartment. Read this link.....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

As others say, the bigger issue is that the apartment rental is probably illegal, and you are likely to be scammed. If you are scammed, you have no protection or recourse because you're renting an illegal apartment. You are taking a big risk here.

Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

Wow, I didn't know that, makes me think... We are 6 people staying from 1 to 8 October, so we need 3 double beds. Budget 3000$.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,359 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

You'e already been told about the illegality of the apartment and therefore I will not comment on whether Astoria is or is not a good neighborhood!

HOWEVER,

you are referring to a Yellow metro line. First of all in NYC there is a subway. There is NOT a metro. Second of all, are subway lines have letters and numbers. I think the line you are referring to is the N but I could be wrong. The colors on the map are there to facilitate distinguishing one line from another. They are meaningless in every other way. Most New Yorkers would have no idea what you are referring to.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

You can get 3 rooms, each with a king bed at the Super 8 in Park Slope Brooklyn for $3000 including free breakfast. With taxes it,s $3555 on hotels.com including free wifi. That gives you privacy and 3 bathrooms, not one and it's egal and near a subway. Check the hotels' own website to compare price.

Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

This is a legal option? Sky City Apartments, 3000$ for a 3 bedroom room with views over Manhattan.

8. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 21:53
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

Sky City apartments is in Jersey City. I don't know if it's legal. What airport are you using? If JFK, staying in New Jersey will be a long and expenisve trip. Commuting from Brooklyn is on the nyc subway system. Commuting from NJ is not and will cost more.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,897 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this too far? Tourists in trouble

The Sky City apartments are in New Jersey, in Jersey City. So they may very well be legal. Although seeing a 3 bedroom apartment for $219 a night kind of seems too good to be true.