We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Can someone explain this process please? Where does one go to buy tickets, and do you really need them? I've heard conflicting reports and just not sure. Also, I will be in town Sunday-Tuesday not leaving until Tuesday night. So what is recommended on when to go without a ton of people? The Tuesday after Labor Day (Sept 3rd) is what I'm thinking...

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Yes, everyone needs to arrange for tickets ahead of time and they are for specific times of admission! Here is the official site for information: http://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
153 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Sorry for the confusing but honest answer based on our experience:

January 2013: We registered online for the FREE self-guided sept 11 memorial tickets. Now I see they are charging $2 for processing. We went to the Memorial Preview Site at 20 Vesey St to pick up our tickets and they had a separate line for those of us that pre-registered. We got our tickets with no wait then went to the Sept 11th memorial.

July 2013 (two weeks ago) we were not planning on going but ended up adding this last minute. We went to the Memorial Preview Site at 20 Vesey St and were put into the exact same line as those with online pre-registration sheets. No one was turned away.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Everyone needs a ticket. You can reserve a ticket ahead of time at www.911memorial.org for $2 admin fee per ticket. OR, you can go straight to the memorial and get a ticket there for free, as long as they haven't sold out. But yes, everyone needs a ticket.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

When we were there about two weeks ago, we ordered our tickets online and paid the $2.00 processing fee so that we were able to print the tickets out in advance. When we arrived at the memorial, there was a line for those who had their tickets and a line for those who did not. The line for people who did not yet have tickets was significantly longer. This was early-mid afternoon on a Sunday and so I'm not sure if there might be times when the line for those who do not yet have tickets is shorter.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

We went a couple of Mondays ago. We went to the 9/11 storefront across the street from St. Pauls chapel, waited in line 5-10 minutes for tickets, and then went to the memorial in the line for people with tickets. We did not reserve in advance.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Went last week, on a weekday about 3pm, didn't have a ticket, or a reservation, joined the queue, got a ticket, went in. No charge was mandatory, but a suggested donation of $5 - $10 each was mentioned.

London, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Am I the only person who finds a $2 ''service fee'' quite distasteful.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

I don't mind paying a fee. You have to think about the logistics behind running a ticket system (I'd think it would have to be computerised), having staff man the security and also upkeep of the memorial itself. It would cost a bit to run something like that. $2.00 is not much and it's a small price to pay imo.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Hola.

We recently retired (hallelujah!!) and had an office on Wall Street very close to the 911 Memorial/Ground Zero and, consequently, though we have been there many, many times, we have NEVER needed to make a reservation nor spend the $2/pp. That said, though admission is FREE, donations to support the Memorial are always welcome. For additional information, see:

http://www.911memorial.org/get-involved

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you really need ticket to view 911 Memorial?

Very confusing on this whole ticket thing. Obviously, $2 is nothing and is probably just to cover the cost of the infrastructure to run a ticketing system, updates, and paying the ticket admin a minimal wage.