We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best view for meal/drink

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best view for meal/drink

Hi I'm going to NYC with a friend in december. I love the idea of rooftop bars etc and seeing the city like this while having a meal or just a drink. Are there any anyone can recommend please? I had looked at The View but was told the food isn't that great and that you mainly pay for the view! We are staying at the Distrikt hotel. Any advice much appreciated!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best view for meal/drink

if you google map rooftop bars near Distrikt hotel then you will see some options. Sky room s very close to the Distrikt.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best view for meal/drink

My wife and I just stayed at the Distrikt hotel on honeymoon (great choice by the way, the hotel was fantastic). Best rooftop bar was easily in the bar called "230 5th". As its name suggests, it's number 230 5th street, but any taxi driver should know where it is. We went at night and the view of the empire state was amazing. You can also see the chrysler building and all sorts. Expensive but worth it. Not sure about the food as we were just there for drinks.

Other than that? There's a cafe in MOMA which has an outside terrace bit. Very nice and classy, as you can see the outdoor quad from the tables. Good light lunches too.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best view for meal/drink

230 5th is on Fifth Avenue rather than Street. My son went there last month and enjoyed the views.

La Rochelle, France
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best view for meal/drink

Last time I was in NYC (early May) I had dinner at the Chart House in Weehawken NJ and the view was absolutely spectacular. The food was good too (mainly seafood but I had the chicken and it was amazing).

To go there it was a short bus drive from Port Authority. We stayed quite late and took a cab back to the hotel, which was a bit pricey but absolutely worth it.

http://www.chart-house.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best view for meal/drink

For views....

We went to Per Se and it was amazing with lovely views..tho' very very expensive.

We went to the Member's Dining Room at the Met TWICE..once for dinner and once for lunch. At lunch we had a table by the window which gives you a beautiful view over Central Park. They will probably you if (1) you book way in advance and (2) tell them it's a special occasion. It's cheaper than Per Se but you have to be a Member (even paying the cost of this makes it cheaper than going to Per Se!!!!)

Another option is a cocktail at the Mandarin Oriental and/or dinner at Asiate ...

Robert has the best views (at lunchtime)

Dizzy's Jazz also has amazing views and is very good food and service and the jazz...

Another place with a beautiful vista is The Modern at the MoMA..it overlooks their sculpture garden.

...I am looking forward to going to River Cafe this next visit...

Edited: 13 August 2013, 23:06
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best view for meal/drink

River Cafe in Brooklyn or Chart House in Weehawken.

7. Re: best view for meal/drink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 07:18