We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

Thinking of doing a mother / daughter trip to NYC, leave the man & boy at home.

We are trying to rent out our 2BR timeshare at Hilton Club in NYC that I reserved Thanksgiving & my birthday around New Years. But not sure the weeks will rent, so am thinking we may need to use our timeshare instead. We kind of needed the money this year, but perhaps may be a sign we need to go to NYC instead, but save a little money and just the girls go.

My daughter age 7 performs in musical theater and sings in a chorus, and loves opera, classical piano, and jazz piano. She also loves comedy magic shows and Cirque du Soleil. My son isn't interested in any of that. So thinking we would love to go to shows. We were happy to see Phantom of the Opera on the list, since have been listening to that a lot lately. I saw that show in Las Vegas before it closed there.

I had lived NYC for 10 years, not up to speed on all the stuff there for kids anymore. Thinking we will do the American Girl doll store too.

Any ideas of the 3 best shows for a young female theater fan, and other places for her to visit? We will be there 7 nights so thinking 3 shows enough. She's also a big fan of vintage stuff, antiques, arts and crafts too. I used to work at an antique store 60's east, and an art gallery in Chelsea, so am thinking of taking her by the those places too which are still in business. Appreciate some suggestions. I moved from NYC in 1993.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,884 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

?Annie, Cinderella, Lion King, Matilda, Newsies, Wicked?

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

here's a list that may be of help to you:

newyorktheatreguide.com/whatson/musicals.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

I like Andees list but if you're on a tight budget, a number of those are never discounted. Annie and Newsies are both great shows and should be available on discount. Maybe Cinderella. Look on e left column of

Broadwaybox.com

And/or join playbill.com for free and check their discounts.

Mommypoppins.com

Gocitykids.com

Are websites with children's activities you might check. She might enjoy a tour of RadioCity music hall. If you're coming at holiday time, the Xmas Spectacular would be great, btw. There's alsoa terrific tour at Lincoln Center and you might be ableto sit in on a rehearsal for free. Check the

Lincolncenter.org

Website.

She might enjoy a visit tothe Museum of Art &Design, especially if there's an open studio where you get to watch someone at work.

Maddmuseum.org

Edited: 14 August 2013, 12:23
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

http://www.madmuseum.org/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

You're asking us for 3 suggestions so from me: Matilda, Lion King, Annie. These three will blow her mind. As a teacher I would not hesitate to recommend a 7 year old musical theater student to see Matilda. Some say it has dark themes but it is children's dark themes ie funny & twisted similar to the children's books of Pippi Longstocking. How lucky she is to have a mum like you. A magical time awaits.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

Thank you so much for the recommendations! We played the YouTube previews, and so far she said she wants to see Wicked and the Radio City Rockettes.

The Art & Design museum sounds so interesting. That building I do not think was there back when I lived NYC.

Well, I just checked what is on calendar for Carnegie Hall, and saw an old friend is performing piano there, so that will make our 3rd night out since my daughter loves classical and jazz piano.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

As your trip approaches, around late October, you should check back to see what's playing off broadway. Many off broadway shows come and go and a proportion of them are appropriate for a 7 year old -- I saw one in July that would have been perfect ("Unlock'd"). The great advantage of off broadway for a kid is that you sit so much closer (and it's a lot cheaper)

8. Re: The 3 musical theater shows to see for daughter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 07:18