We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

1st time to NY n staying for a 2nights stopover. will be coming from JFK airport. Plan to go Statue of Liberty, Wall St, Brooklyn bridge, Time Square, Fifth Ave n Jersey Gardens in 1.5days

Which hotel is better, more convenient and safer?

Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

It's ridiculous to think you can accomplish all that in 1.5 days. Neither hotel is a good choice. Staying in Jamaica is a terrible idea (too far from everything) and not safe. Your best option would be staying in Manhattan either in midtown (midtown west) or down in the financial district which would put you close to the Brooklyn bridge, Wall st. and ferries to SOL. I think you should forget about actually going to the Statue of Liberty (too much security and takes too long) and instead just take a cruise to get close to it.

nywatertaxi.com

does a SOL express trip that's a good option.

If you can't afford a room in Manhattan, for what you want to do, Long Island City in a hotel near a subway is ok but NOT the Red Roof Inn which is nowhere near a subway station. Any hotel you consider, you should plot on

maps.google.com

and look for the blue "M" which is a subway station . The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge or Sheraton downtown Brooklyn would also work.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

Both of those hotels are awful ideas. That Quality Inn is in a dangerous neighborhood and that Red Roof Inn isn't near any subway stations, which would make it difficult to get anywhere. Please look at a map and choose a Long Island City hotel nearer to a subway station.

Also, please understand that Jersey Gardens is an entire day, and the Statue of Liberty is a half day. So you would use up your 1.5 days on those things without a single extra stop.

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

Thanks for the info, will rebook at the hotel choices again.

Wanted to save some hotel money for better use...

As for the itinerary, in this case I will mayb just spend my day for shopping in manhattan then.

So u think I can do Jersey Garden n b back in Manhattan by 3pm? Wanted to go woodbury but that should b impossible for me.

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

I found another hotel closer to subway in Long Island City : Days Inn - Long Island City.

This should b a better choice than the other 2.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

Jersey Gardens is closer and can be done is as little as a half day. Woodbury takes at least an hour in each direction and once you get there, it's quite large. I assume you realize that there's lots of discount shopping IN Manhattan. The cost of a bus to get to Woodbury is ~$40 roundtrip and the merchandise is not always top quality. I understand if you were staying longer, but for such a short trip, I don't get why you feel you need to go to an outlet mall.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

have a look at the hotels in the area of the Country Inn & Suites ....

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

Hi nywhiz, I think it's like a typical tourist mindset to go to an outlet in US. But I guess u are right that I should not waste my time there since I only have 1.5days. I guess I will explore manhattan and enjoy my New YOrk trip. Thanks dear!

Hi Meyem thanks for the recommendation but its fully booked for my period of stay. Seems like sep is a peak period somehow in NY.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

Its the UN session so its busy and expensive

How about the Verve in LIC?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

The Days Inn Is not well located. I've copied a paragraph written by former poster GreenWhiteBlue which lists the hotels in LIC in best location. See if one of these is available.

"The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on the convenience of their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Fairfield Inn and Suites Queensboro Bridge, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street."

FYI, calling someone "dear", especially someone you don't know is not considered polite here.

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quality Inn Jamaica or Red Roof Inn Long Island City??

Thanks nywhiz for the advice. N sorry about that. Have a great day ahead.