We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

Can anyone suggest where is the best place to pick up a hire car. We are leaving New York City and travelling to Long Island and Cape Cod. We do not want to drive through New York City. Would La Garuda airport be a good pick up point, we could catch a train out to the airport.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

Airports are normally expensive places to pick up rental cars and there are no trains that go to LaGuardia.

Where in Long Island are you going? Are you planning to take one of the ferries to Connecticut to get to Cape Cod?

When is your trip?

Where are you planning to return the rental car?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

Stamford Connecticut.

Metro-North has multiple trains an hour including always at least one per hour that makes Stamford the first stop. Hertz and Avis have locations right at the train station (1 Metro Place or something like that).

It is extremely easy on / easy off access to Interstate 95.

There are also rental cars at the New Haven train station (Union Station) served by Metro North. If you are curious to find the most economical, you can also search Bridgeport as there are car rentals near the train station. I go with the location where I get the most economical rate on the type of car I want with one of the companies I prefer to use. I particularly like Hertz.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

More info would be helpful. Where do you need to be when the trip is over? Do you live in NYC or are you flying home to somewhere else? If so, out of which airport? That affects the practicality of various options.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

We live in the Village and (for longer trips) rent cars from two places in our community: Hertz on 13th Street between 5th Avenue & University Place; National/Alamo on 12th Street between 5th Avenue & University Place. We agree that renting cars at NYC-area airports usually costs more and find that City rentals are more convenient for our pickups and drop-offs.

CH

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

It depends on where you go first. Going up to Stamford, Ct. if you want to go to Long Island first makes no sense to me. But if you go to Cape Cod first and then Long Island that would work but you might have to then return the car back to Stamford which would be out of your way. So bottom line, airport rentals are usually more expensive but picking up from one place and dropping off at another is also usually more expensive. If you're planning on dropping the car back at say JFK and want to go to Long Island first, it might make sense to go out to JFK, rent the car there, continue on to Long Island and then the Cape and then return to JFK before leaving NYC. If you're planning on dropping the car say in Boston, you may only have limited options on where you can rent because the smaller locations outside Manhattan may not allow a different drop off.

6. Re: car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:18