We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different arrival times.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Different arrival times.

Not sure what to do. We arrive at 15.35 into JFK from LHR on a Sunday. My sister in law arrives about 20.00 on an internal flight.

We are staying at The Murray Hill Suites 149 East 29th Street. She dosen't want to travel to the hotel on her own by public transport.

Not sure what to do,we could just wait in the airport for her and all get a cab in, or we go to the hotel by public tranport, settle in go back to the airport and all come in by cab. Or just let her get the cab by herself?

I don't think we will get through immigration and customs much before 17.30, is there anything we could do for a couple of hrs if we wait for her?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Different arrival times.

I say this with love: tell her to grow up. She can get a cab by herself. What if her flight's delayed? How long will you sit in the airport?

She should get in the yellow cab line and tell the driver the cross streets of the hotel. That's it. It's a flat fare, $52.50 plus tolls (if any) and tip, so $65-70 total. She can't get ripped off, and she can't get lost.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different arrival times.

I agree assuming she's not somehow incapitated or a teenager.. The idea of hanging around the airport (no, there's nothing to do nearby and even if there were, what would you do with your luggage?) waiting for her after a. 7+ hr journey is considerate but daft. Tell her not to accept rides from anyone who approaches her regardless of what they offer. Go to the official taxi line outside the terminal and join the line. The dispatcher at the front will give her a receipt as she gets into the cab. She should save it as it will have the cab #. Should she leave anything in the cab, she will be able to locate it.

honolulu
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different arrival times.

Buy a day pass lounge from the airline and cool your heels in LHR and then JFK. Then cab it to NYC together.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different arrival times.

How old is this person? Is she developmentally disabled? Elderly? Mentally ill?

Unless there is a very good reason (above) for you to waste hours in an airport sitting around waiting for her, I can't imagine her even asking you to. A normal person would have a "meet you there" attitude. Unless there's something really wrong with her that she needs help....

I can totally understand her not wanting to take the subway in a strange city at night, but that's what cabs are for. If she needs to be with you, then she should think about rearranging her plans to coincide with yours , not the other way around.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different arrival times.

She's quite capable of getting a cab and she did suggest it, it's just the extra expense of getting 2 cabs instead of one. I just thought if we could while away an hour or 2 it would save some cash.

Some airports have a pool you can use (Singapore if I remember correctly).

All flights are non changeable.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different arrival times.

Tell her to get her own cab.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different arrival times.

Depending on the terminals you'll be using, you may be able to find a decent restaurant and have a "slow" meal. That could easily "eat up" any taxi savings though.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different arrival times.

Anything that will allow you to waste time will cost money....except if you bring a book to read The airport isn't all that pleasant. You could have a meal as suggested but that's money and the food isn't likely to be spectacular.

Sorry to sound so harsh--I thought she had requested you to wait for her. If she's open to getting a cab on her own, she should probably do that.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Different arrival times.

Why do you need to have two cabs - You could take public transportation and she can take a taxi; in your the original post, you said SHE doesn't want to take public transportation on her own, but why don't you?

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Different arrival times.

Yes we can It's not a problem for us, just trying to see if there is a way for her to save some money, I thought it was mean of us to make her get a taxi on her own.