We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

Looking for good

in Little Itlay.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

A lot of people are going to tell you that Little Italy is no more. But I had a very pleasant experience a few trips ago at La Mela Ristorante, taken there by locals.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

thanks, any info on Sofia's on Mulberry Street?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

If you eat in Little Italy be careful to check whether the tip is added in automatically. We were there recently. I'd read on Yelp a complaint from someone who ate at a LI restaurant complaining about this practice. So we picked a different Mulburry St area restaurant.. We were a party of two and there it was on the bill--they added the tip automatically. I've seen this done elsewhere for a large party, but never for parties of two.

The dishes were 20+ each. The homemade pasta was good, but the service was lousy. It was tourist trappy. There was someone out front trying to coax people in. That takes away from the ambiance considerably.

Boston's North End has these Italian places that are just nice little restaurants with unbelievable food and excellent service, quiet ambiance, similar prices. If anyone knows of any such places in NYC, please post recommendations.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

Rubirosa

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rubirosa-new-york-2

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

Thanks, nywhiz...you really are the nywhiz!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

Has anyone been to Angelo's on Mulberry St.?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

I have......their snapper with olives and tomatoes is pretty good.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

Lower manhattan is an Italian food Mecca. Osteria Morini, Da Andera, Otto, Rubirosa, Malatesta, Perla, Melotti, L'Apicio just to name a few. But I can't name a single place in little Italy, tho Rubirosa is close enough. Little Italy is predominately Chinese now and that part of Mulberry street is strictly for tourists.

There is no reputable restaurateur that will open a restaurant in little Italy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

So happy the wonderful Whiz and Zig suggested Rubirosa. We went there for lunch (found it on our own using the 'search nearby' feature on google maps) on a day down in Soho and we really liked it. I think technically it's in Nolita.( North of Little Italy) if you're searching on yelp etc by area.

We also liked looking in at the shop Di Palo (Grand Street?). We saw one of the owners chatting about his family's experience in the Lower East Side on the wonderful video at the nearby Tenement Museum. There was also a cake/gelati place pretty much opposite Di Palo (also on the video but I cannot remember its name)

Ciao...

New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for dinner in Little Itlay New York City

Little Italy was called Little Italy because Italians lived there 100 years ago. In the same way, 100 years ago there used to be a Little Syria down on Cortlandt Street, and Little Germany (Klein Deutschland) around Tompkins Square. When the Syrians moved away, the name "Little Syria" was forgotten, and when the Germans moved up to Yorkville, the name "Little Germany" vanished. For some reason, though, even though no Italians have lived near Mulberry Street for years, the name "Little Italy" won't go away, probably because tourists still think it means something. Eat there if you want, but understand that all the restaurants are aimed at tourists rather than locals, and the neighborhood is about as Italian as Hong Kong.