We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

penn street

herts
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
penn street

we need to be at penn street station to catch a train to washington at 9.00 am on a saturday in mid sept.we are staying at radio city appts in 49 th street.on reading some old forum Q & A on this similar query it was suggested getting a cab at certain times can be a problem.Am i being unduly worried?.as we are not youngsters we feel a cab for us as more sensible.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: penn street

Yes, you are unduly worried. This journey will take you five minutes down one straight avenue and if there is any traffic the driver will be adept at finding a way round it. But if you are still nervous then, considering it is so close and it's not an anti-social time, just leave an hour early and get breakfast near Penn Station.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 12:22
herts
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: penn street

thanks for reassurance

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: penn street

You are very welcome.

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: penn street

I'm assuming you mean Penn Station (Pennsylvania Station). I'm not familiar with where you are staying, but you have a couple of options: if you can manage about a 10-minute walk (I'm guessing), and you're somewhere around 6th Avenue, walk in the direction of traffic on 49th St. (it's one way westbound) until you get to 7th Ave. and you should be able to flag a cab there. You can also call a cab company the night before and arrange to have a cab pick you up at your location the next morning at a specified time. If there's a concierge or registration desk in the lobby of where you are staying, they will be able to call a cab for you. It being a Saturday there will be less traffic, so once you get the cab you're no more than 10 or 15 minutes from the station at most. Ask the driver to let you off at the 8th Ave./33rd St. entrance since that's closest to where the Amtrak trains depart from.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: penn street

There will be taxis out. No need to worry.

herts
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: penn street

nice comprehensive reply ,thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,073 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: penn street

BTW there is no Penn Street. Had your post not spoken about getting to the station to catch a train to Washington, no one would know what you are talking about. Penn Station is located on 7th Avenue. The name comes from the original tenant, the Pennsylvania railroad--which no longer exists

herts
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: penn street

most people seemed to understand the query,dont be so dismissive of in accuracies humans are not perfect!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,073 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: penn street

Humans are not perfect but most of us want to learn and increase our knowledge level. You could have ignored my information or said thank you. Read again what I wrote, I said that because of the context you used it in, it was understood. However, if you got in a cab and said, "Penn Street Please" he/she wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Personally, anytime anyone gives me additional information and I am able to increase my knowledge, I am happy!

10. Re: penn street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 14:35