We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelming?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelming?

Hello everyone.

Me and the wife are considering a week or so in New York, but feel the experience may be a bit overwhelming (probably wandering around like headless chickens!). We were thingking of maybe starting off with one of those all-day coach tours that seem to cover most of the major tourist attractions. Would that be the best way to get the lay of the land? We think it could give us a basic geography of the area and help us decide where we may want to visit during the rest of our stay.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelming?

yes, one loop of the HOHO buses may be an idea

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelming?

With google maps and street view you can get a real feel for what to expect when you go.

There is a lot of places you can visit but don't feel you have to do everything. Pick your priorities and work around them. Group your things to do by area so you don't waste time and money running all over the city.

I have never been on a HOHO bus but some of my family have and they enjoyed it.

Do your research and ask advice on the forum if you are unsure.

Have a look at flights and hotels so you know how many your budget will allow @ the standard of hotel you are happy to stay in @ the time of year you want to go.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelming?

The HOHO buses travel over prescribed routes and will give you a general idea of Manhattan layout and where some sights are. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with "wandering around like headless chickens." In fact, it is usually something that I actually recommend. Leaving your guidebooks back at the hotel and heading out to a neighborhood that sounds interesting.

You can divide your sightseeing by area of the city. Have a Downtown day, a midtown day, a Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn day, a museum or shopping day, etc.

One more thing...resign yourself to the fact that you will not , and can not, do and see everything on your list. NYC is just too big for that. Prioritize and improvise.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 12:37
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelming?

Onboardtours.com

Freetoursbyfoot.com

Realnewyorktours.com

Are some orher cos. that do overview tours with a guide that stays with you..also a good way to get the lay of the land.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelming?

New York is such a walkable city that you might find being on a coach all day to be very confining. Years ago on my first trip our family took a 1/2 day coach tour and I so regretted being cooped up for 4 hours on a coach. Grab a subway map and some comfortable shoes and get out and be a part of the city.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelming?

Thanks for the replies. I am grateful for the help.

I am sure New York is a place we will want to return to again and again, but just in case we can't, I hope we can make the most of our 7 or 8 days. I am a big fan of wandering around, but my wife isn't and while I like the idea of getting a general overview of the place, I also tend to agree with Surgie about being stuck on a coach for several hours.

I think I will put my wife on the bus tour, while I travel around on the subway and maybe meet up with her for dinner.

Thanks again

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelming?

I agree with Surgie - getting out and about and seeing the city on your own is the best. I find the buses to be really useful too. They can move quite slowly at rush hour but of course go cross town as well as from North to South. The last time I visited the city was in December 2012 and although I love the place with all my heart, even for me it was verging on being too cold to walk around comfortably. Having said that New York is still very nice at Christmas time. The only downside to the city for me is the cost of hotels but even that could be overcome perhaps by trying AirBnb.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelming?

Google is an excellent free resource. I have been spending a lot of time putting in point A and point B to find out how long it will take to walk or catch public transport to ensire we can see what we want to and still walk around like headless chooks. I'm finding that it gives you a good idea before you go of where the various neighbourhoods are and where the sights are that you want to see.

9. Re: Overwhelming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 07:19