We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked!!!

england
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked!!!

I,m visiting New York first week in Feb next year, ok how cold is it??? and its my first time... flying in to JFK airport how far away is it to East 31st st.? and whats best way to get from airport to hotel? i,ve looked at shuttle bus? also i get there early afternoon whats close by for me to do that afternoon/evening. I,m staying at Hotel 31 east 31st st any bars close and anywhere for breakfast... I have previously asked that bit but now i,ve booked be nice to know if somewhere close to get breakfast. I know lots of questions but excited now,

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked!!!

I'm pretty sure, within a block or two there is a deli where you'll be able to get breakfast. I never ever worry about that.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
689 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked!!!

Its exciting isn't it! We are going for Christmas and cannot wait!

I recommend you read all the frequently asked questions (FAQ's)on the right side of this page and follow the links, that will help, also get a guide book and use google maps

england
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked!!!

thanks a lot give me something to do upto going...

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked!!!

The shuttle bus is unreliable coming in from the airport. Taking the train or a taxi is better. Your hotel is on E. 31st Street, just east of Park Avenue South (which is the equivalent 4th Avenue in the avenue numbering system.)

If you want a taxi it's a flat fare into Manhattan. Adding tolls and tip it would be around $70 to your hotel.

Alternatively, you can take the train. Again, you have options. In each case you'd begin by taking the AirTrain monorail from your JFK terminal to Jamaica. The cost for this is $5.00 per person. In Jamaica you could take the Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station. Fare varies by time of day and day of the week but should be about $7.00. You can exit Penn Station at 31st Street and 7th Avenue so you would be about three long blocks from your hotel.

In Jamaica you could also take the subway to your hotel. You'd take the E train to Lexington Avenue and change for the downtown 6 to 33rd Street (and Park Avenue South.). You'd then be two short blocks from your hotel. You will probably want to buy an unlimited weekly Metrocard for the subway (and local buses) at $31 for the week. If you do this at the start of your trip the incremental cost of the subway will be zero.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,543 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked!!!

How exciting! Avoid airport shared shuttle vans. They are universally bad in NYC.

February can be extremely cold or just moderately cold. It's variable. Snow, Ice and/or rain are possible. Dry sunny days are also possible.

Your hotel isn't far from 2nd Ave Deli. That would be a great spot to grab your first meal. It is also open for breakfast but I think they are more famous for their lunch and dinner sandwiches. Maybe someone can comment on whether the breakfast is great. Note that it's kosher, so don't expect bacon or omelets that mix meats and cheese.

Murray Hill Diner is a good breakfast spot.

That first afternoon, there's no real reason to stay super close to your hotel, but if that's your preference, you'll be near the Empire State Building, Macy's and the Museum of Sex ;-) You're also relatively close to Union Square (about a 20 min walk)

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked!!!

Just keep checking this forum page.

This is what we did and the number of questions that you have about New York I am sure will crop up and we be answered without having to ask.

From the time we booked until we travelled we never once posted a question.

We just kept checking the forum and picked out all the good tips for our trip.

england
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked!!!

this all sounds so complicated already... all these streets and avenues complicated... i have heard the airtrain best way so where,s nearest subway i want to be off at... understand i have to change... and thanks regarding places to eat... where,s the museum of sex lol.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked!!!

the grid system is VERY simple

which hotel you are staying at? what is the cross street?

hopstop.com will give you directions and google will tell you where the museum of sex is

england
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked!!!

hotel 31 and not sure what cross st means, was jokin bout mueum of sex lol.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked!!!

which is the nearest avenue