We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in New york for one week

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time in New york for one week

Hi, I will be visiting New York for a week at the end of November this year. My gf has been a few times before and is looking forward to lots of shopping, but it is my first time and i want to try and fit in as many sights as possible too. Below is a rough itinerary, i was wondering if anyone in the know would be able to give me advice or suggestions on how to best fit in as much as possible

Day 1

Arrive in the afternoon. Get checked into the hotel and straight out to do some shopping on 5th avenue

Tiffanys/Century21/Bloomingdales/Macy's

Day 2

Woodbury common

Greenwich village- if we have time

Maybe visit a comedy club

Day 3

Philadelphia day trip - really want to go see the rocky steps and statue, what else is there to do in philadelphia

Back in time for a broadway show

Day 4

Sightseeing tour - leaves at 10am for 5.5 hours (on board tours)

Times Square visitor centre

Madison sq gdns

Day 5

Chrysler building/grand central terminal/ new York public library/ Bryant park

Rockefeller centre

China town and little Italy

Manhattan skyline/Irish hunger memorial - vesey st/ St. Paul's chapel/ ground zero(9/11 memorial)

Day 6

Empire State Building( go at 8am)

Wall Street

George washington Bridge

Brooklyn bridge

Fit in some shopping

Day 7

Central Park

Staten Island ferry

Day 8

Black Friday

Get up early for few hours shopping

Leaving fri evening

I havent figured out exactly on which days we are going to do each thing yet, but we will be there over thanksgiving so i am thinking we should do the activities for day 7 then, as im presuming all shops will be closed... but will everyone else be at central park then too?..

Would Sunday be a good day to go to Philadelphia?

Also, what days are best for sightseeing, I think we arrive on a friday, and i wanted to do a sightseeing tour as soon as possible. (was thinking of the on board tours - see it all tour) so then we would have have time to go back to see anything we liked again properly, such as the empire state building on a later day. BUT would it be better to wait until the monday to do this tour? Would there be much less traffic/ people about on a monday morning than a saturday morning?

I realise day 5 might be a little jam packed and we might not get everything done, although we will not be spending very much time at some places, just to take a few phots and move on.

i know i have asked a lot of questions but any hints, tips and advice on this trip however small would be greatly appreciated

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in New york for one week

Re Phil. Imho, that requires a separate trip (2 days) because there is a lot to do in Philly, including the Liberty Bell, Front Street, South Street. I'd separate that out from NYC but if you muct, go see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.

visitphilly.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in New york for one week

I would move your sight seeing trip to day one or day 2 (first full day). You will then have your orientation. Often if you wait too long, you have already seen a lot. I agree, that a trip to Philadelphia and back in time for a Broadway show is just fitting too much into a day. You really need an overnight for Philadelphia or a very late return.

Shopping! I would prefer a sharp stick in the eye so just don't understand coming to one of the greatest cities in the world and spending time pawing over merchandise. Surely you have stores nearer to your home than NYCity. Shop there and then come to NYCity to experience the culture and the city.

But, if she insists (and I do have friends like that)....are you joined at the hip? Perhaps she can shop and you can explore the city. You would have at least two extra days.....perhaps a day in Brooklyn? Woodbury Commons? Most experts on this forum do not recommend it. It will cost you at least $80 in transportation and use up one full day. Black Friday is a day to definitely stay away from any store! Again.....I urge you to take advantage of all the must sees in NYCity. Look at the list of must sees on the right......shopping is way way way at the bottom! While she shops, you explore!

Edited: 21 August 2013, 18:18
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in New york for one week

I agree with EthelSue that you should move your OnBoard sightseeing tour to your first morning, so that you can get an overview and orientation before digging in the rest of the week.

I would also skip Woodbury - you can do plenty of moderately-priced shopping in Manhattan. If you decide to do the daytrip to Philly, you should not plan to get back in time for a Broadway show.

On other days, you're going up and down too much and so I think you should reorganize things:

Here are the sites you want to see that are in Lower Manhattan: Irish Hunger Memorial, St. Paul's Chapel, 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, Century 21

Chinatown, Little Italy (which is basically one street left for tourists), and Greenwich Village are all downtown neighborhoods. (As is SoHo, which is great for shopping).

Here are the sites you want to see that are in Midtown: Chrysler Building, Grand Central Terminal, NY Public Library, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Empire State Building, Tiffany, Bloomingdale's, Macy's

But note that Macy's and Bloomingdale's are not that close together, and neither is on 5th Avenue. Bloomingdale's is on 59th-60th Street between Lexington and 3rd Avenues. Macy's is on 34th-35th Street between Sixth Avenue/Broadway and 7th Avenue. (B'way and 6th Ave cross at 34th Street). Macy's is near the ESB.

You have George Washington Bridge on your list and I have no idea why. It's way way up on the west side - it spans the Hudson River - and you'll be no where near it. Did you mean something else?

You also have Madison Square garden on your list, but, unless you're going to a concert or sporting event, there's nothing to see there. It's an ugly building that sits on top of Penn Station, right by Macy's. Did you mean Madison Square Park and the Flatiron Building?

As for Thanksgiving Day, here are some ideas: ESB and Top of the Rock will be open. Central Park will be open, of course :), and so will the zoo. You could go to the Rockettes show at Radio City Music Hall (across from Rockefeller Center). You could walk past the department stores and look at their Christmas windows...on Fifth Avenue you will find Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Henri Bendel, and Bergdorf Goodman, and over on Madison Avenue there is Barney's. And you could have a traditional Thanksgiving meal at a restaurant.

Enjoy your trip!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in New york for one week

Totally agree with previous posters..... shop whenever... not when you have paid to be in NYC to see what you can see.....

posted photos and notes... we LOVED it last October for the whole month..... wouldn't leave the city if I only had 1 week.....

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in New york for one week

**It will cost you at least $80 in transportation and use up one full day.**

Not correct. Roundtrip tickets for 2 people to Woodbury is less that $65.

That being said, I would also skip it with all of the planned shopping(unless the GF insists)....and if she does insist, I would move it until later in the week...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in New york for one week

thought it was about $42 each?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in New york for one week

I think you should continue your shopping in Manhattan on day 2 especially if you want to go to the village in the afternoon. You will waste a couple of hours travelling to Woodbury and back.

On day 4 go to Madison Square Park instead of Garden. It's much nicer and there is the Flatiron building and Eataly there. If you love italian food that is a must see.

Include the Staten island ferry on day 6 instead of 7.

Other days you are all over the place too. Check a map and you'll see.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 03:40
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in New york for one week

I would leave the all of the shopping on Black Friday cause that's when all the deals or on..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in New york for one week

I wouldnt!

Black FRiday is ABSOLUTE chaos!

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in New york for one week

Many thanks everyone for all the advice. Ive made a number of changes to our itenerary based on everyones suggestions. im glad i posted on here as it has shown how much i didnt know, and i dont want to waste a second in new york.

Im afraid the shopping will be a priority though, but i realise, its probabily not worth even trying on black friday.

I agree with you EthelSue and Frangipani7 to do the sightseeing tour as soon as possible to get a glimpse of everything and then we can go back to anything we want to see in detail later in the trip, however our first full day will be a saturday, i was thinking, is there much difference between getting around and sightseeing at the weekend than on a weekday. I assumed a monday morning would be quieter giving us slightly more time at each sight on the tour, than at the weekend? But If there is little difference i would definitely prefer the saturday morning