We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air train

Swansea
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air train

I see that if I buy a pay per ride card I can share it with the wife, can we do this with the Air train portion of the journey as well.

In which case I could work out the reported spend of the while trip and just buy the one card

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,055 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air train

The AirTrain can be paid for with a pay per ride metrocard as long as there's enough money on it. AirTrain is $5/person/trip

www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air train

Are you sure you won't want an unlimited card for travel in NYC during your visit? How long will you be in NYC? You can now have both pay per ride and unlimited card on the same physical card. Since you would each need separate unlimited cards you could just add your own pay per ride expectations to those separate cards.

Mentioned in this post
Swansea
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air train

Only going to be there for 4 nights, can envisage spending most of our time walking.

So mainly need the card for back and for the airport, very little else

I assume from response the wife and I can share a single air train ticket

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air train

Manhattan is VERY large and the typical sites are spread out

The break even is 13 trips and therefore you would probably find that you WILL need an unlimited card

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air train

We had a 4 day trip recently and the pay per ride worked fine for the 5 of us on that visit. We bought 2 cards with $30 and $20. That said we were picked up at the airport by family and had 3 or 4 taxi trips. The taxi fares for our trips would probably be not too far off the difference between what we paid and the price of 5 unlimited passes as we needed two taxis. We did walk and planned our days so that we were not crossing the city.

I am headed back in a few weeks with friends for 6 days and will be buying an unlimited ticket.

If you have an itinerary for your 4 days then you can map it out and decide if its worthwhile.

Swansea
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air train

Can someone answer my original question

Can the wife and I share the same Pay for Ride card on the air train, as we can with the subway.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air train

yes

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air train

Yes it can Daveinrome. I think people are just trying to help save you some money!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air train

Daveonrome

"We had a 4 day trip recently and the pay per ride worked fine for the 5 of us on that visit. We bought 2 cards with $30 and $20"

Apologies, I thought it was clear from the above that if 5 of us can use 2 cards, 2 of you can use 1 pay per ride card.

It's up to you how much you put on it and you get a credit of 5% on any more than $5 you put on the card. You can refill the card which costs $1 on initial purchase.

www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#payper

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,116 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Air train

Yes, you can share the card, but (in case it's not clear) you still need $5 per person to pay the fare, even if it's on one card.