We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which subway card

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Which subway card

My partner and I will be in nyc in December for 6 nights. We have an itinerary of what we want to see and do which included using the subway for travelling between sights and attractions. All in all we reckon we will be using the subway approx 15 times. What is the best way to do this is the unlimited 7 day metro card the best way to go or should we pay per ride

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which subway card

Unlimited for definite!

Break even point is 13 trips and you never know when you might need to use it more, to go back to the hotel if you forget something, to correct a mistake if you get lost, to use the buses, the Roosevelt island Tram, and also peace of mind, saving queueing up at machines to add more.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 12:35
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which subway card

Yes. 13 times is the cut-off . If you plan to use 13 times or more you are better to have the 7 day.

I am getting the 7 day when I go soon for 6 nights. I plan to use the subway as much as possible.

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which subway card

Many thanks... Our first trip on the subway is from grand central terminal to penn station and we are nervous about trying to negoatiate grand central it seems vast !!!!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which subway card

I don't follow why you are going from Penn Station to Grand Central on the subway. You mentioned the Airtrain in your other post. There are easier ways to do this.

If you are on the LIRR, it would be easier to change to the 7 train at Woodside and go directly to GCT from there.

Or get the E train into /Lex53rd St and change to the 6 to GCT.

where is your ultimate destination?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which subway card

Grand Central is vast but there are signs everywhere. And there is also an information booth that you can ask for directions if you need it. You will be fine.

New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which subway card

I agree with Kateoz that you don't need to go to Penn Station, and that you will eventually change to a subway that stops at Grand Central. However, if you are changing from the E , it is much easier to change for the #7 at Court Square instead of to the #6 at Lexington Avenue/53rd St.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
118 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which subway card

The 7-day card, as it will allow you to travel about ground too. We took the subway to 2nd to visit Katz's deli but then relaxed on a couple of busses back to Central Park. Having the pass means when you see something you like, you get off the bus and get on again later. The subway's great and fast, but use it when you need to get from A to B, not see everything between the two places:-)

Gary @ Melbourne Australia

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which subway card

Can you stop trying to figure out why I'm going to penn station. That was a different question that got mixed up in here somehow

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,965 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which subway card

The subway is sometimes confusng for first timers, and people are just trying to make sure you have an easy first time of it, especially since you say you're nervous. We're very happy to make sure your plans are the best and easiest possible, but if you don't want advice, no worries! Have a great trip!

10. Re: Which subway card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21