We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
114 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

I'm coming in for a family event and combining it with a long weekend with my husband, 9/19-9/22. Extended family lives or are staying on the Upper Eastside (the Wales) but my husband feels that is farther uptown than he wants to go. That weekend is super expensive but I got a fairly good cancelable rate at The Muse. Then I noticed a Fall weekend rate at the Mela - $269 including breakfast and it says I'm upgraded to a deluxe room. That's significant savings but I'm concerned because a lot of comments say the rooms are really small. We once stayed at the Shoreham and our first room was claustrophobically small - fortunately it wasn't the non-smoking room I requested and they upgraded us to a suite the next day.

I'm open to other areas although my husband doesn't want UWS (did that last visit). I've stayed midtown east by Grand Central and thought it was ok but somewhat boring at night.

We've already done most of the sightseeing/museums/boat cruises so its pretty much just walking the city - will do 9/11 memorial, high line and Chelsea market, see Kinky boots plus finally check out Century 21.

Any opinions or new ideas are greatly appreciated.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
20 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

I am also visiting NYC in October and have read a lot of reviews saying the hotel rooms are small. But hey, it's new york, you don't need to be staying in your room all day, get out and see the city. I would suggest using priceline to bid on a hotel room a couple weeks before you leave. That's what I plan on doing for my trip. Try looking at biddingtraveler.com and they give you an idea of how much to bid and what bids actually won.

Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

I've stayed at The Muse before. It's very nice. Rooms are a decent size, and the location is ideal. Although since then we always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn West 35th. It's very reasonable, and the location is fantastic. Less than a 10 minute walk from Times Square (you can see it from the corner). Also a subway stop literally right outside he from door.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

What's the rate at the Muse? If its under $410 per night, I (personally) would keep it. I've stayed at both properties and the Mela is not my favorite...I haven't been back just because my "Deluxe Room" was a walk-in-closet.

The Muse is a fantastic property. I spend about 30 nights a year there --- it is where my company puts me up at. I love it --- no complaints. Spacious rooms, nice bathrooms. When we travel to NY as a family we like the Marquis for its central location and HUGE rooms. But the Muse is my go-to property and its rooms are more than adequate in terms of size.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 01:21
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

Where is the family event? Apart from the show, everything you want to see/do is downtown. It's not that easy to get from Times Square to the upper east side. I'd consider staying further downtown. The Jade hotel in the village is new and nice.

If you're just looking for advice on the Mela vs the Muse, you havent said what class/size of room you'd get at the Mela which will matter nor have you provided the price dorthe Muse. The smallest rooms at the Mela are very small and rooms a looking tired. Have a look on

Oyster.com

Fyi, Mela is regulalrly a secret sale hotel (4* boutique Times Square) on quikbook.com. I'm not a fan of breakfast included in NYC (unless with kids) given how many good places there are outside the hotels.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

NYWhiz - OP specified Mela room class " it says I'm upgraded to a deluxe room"

Here's a "Deluxe Room" - 220 Square Feet

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

Currently staying at The Muse and it is fantastic. My wife and I are here celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on Monday and so far they have been outstanding.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
114 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

Thanks for the advice. The Mela is a deluxe room and runs around $400 less for the weekend than the Muse. That's a lot if they are somewhat comparable. Arlington13, you said you stayed at both so is the Muse $400 better?

The Jade was $450 a night unless I go non refundable and I am just not ready to commit to that.

You've all given me good information to think about and I appreciate that.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

Over 3 nights its $400 more? So roughly $133 more per night - about $400 per night? That's a good price for it.

If I were you, I might consider other options though...

Hotwire has a 4.5-star Times Square Hotel for $350/night. That's the Intercontinental NY. I've stayed there before and its a nice hotel, though I prefer the Muse.

Hotwire also has a 4.5-star Times Square Hotel for $363/night. That's the Sofitel NYC, one of the best rated hotels on TA. I have never stayed here before but I just booked it for an upcoming stay in early September...the Muse was $404 (for my company's rate) and I had a Jetsetter promo rate of $355 for this property in a Luxury Suite so I went for it (and will get reimbursed!). I think it looks very nice...some friends of mine swear by it.

AM13

minneapolis
Level Contributor
114 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

I checked Hotwire and couldn't find any hotel with a rate of $350 or $363 (Sofitel sounds really nice for $363). There is one for $352 and another for $357. Do the rates fluctuate? I'll probably just stick with the Muse, sounds like its worth the extra money.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions on my hotel choices near Times Square.

Hotwire rates DO fluctuate. The Sofitel is the 4.5-star Midtown Central Hotel (that's appearing for your dates) and the Intercontinental is the 4.5-star Times Square Hotel (always).

AM13