We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

Will be flying from nyc to montreal. Does anyone know how many hours one should arrive before an international flight to La Guardia airport? I have done domestic flights before and i know 2 hours would be plenty for an domestic flight even when checking luggage and then waiting in lines twice.

I will be checking luggage when i get there. Thus if my flight is at 12pm, what time would be fine? What if its at 10am? Does it depend if its early or later? I read online 3 hours is good but is that a bit too much? I know it depends on the airport but i want to know for La Guardia.

Does anyone know how long you have until you can check in your bags for international flight? I recall for domestic, it has to be done 30 minutes or 1 hour before the flight. What about international? I know for my domestic fllight, there were lot of people waiting in line at jfk when i was flying from jfk to another american city.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

You need to read what the airline says. Anything less you could be liable if you miss the plane. It doesn't matter what you "think: makes sense, it matters what the airline tells you.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

I agree with rdglady -- you need to do what the airline says. I have flown to Canada from LGA, but not in a long while. It was not then anything like, say, an international flight out of JFK, more like a domestic flight, and I think 2 hours would have been plenty. However, things keep changing because of all the enhanced security measures, so you really have to make sure you meet the airline's requirements.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

The question is really what airline you are flying and what their process is.

I've flown American to Toronto and I've flown Air Canada to Montreal. I've always been able to print my boarding pass at home, show up about an hour before and show my passport when boarding.

LaGuardia isn't a very good place to spend any additional time unnecessarily - it isn't set up for people hanging out for lengthy periods of time.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
377 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

i use laguardia a lot - unfortunately the security lines are as variable as any place i travel through. and as above, once you get through security the waiting areas border on the primitive. minimum of two hours, the worst is that you sit there with everyone else.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

Okay so you are saying with luggage, i should get there minimum 2 hours early right? Also are people that go on domestic and international flights... are they on the same line when waiting to check their luggage? When i took a domestic flight from jfk to another american city, the line was very long and i say it was 35 minutes. But still it was fine as i got there 2 hours before.

So the long through security is longer if you are taking international vs domestic?

The airline im flying with is WestJet. Does anyone know about them?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

WestJet is in Delta's Terminal (in what used to be US Airways terminal). US Airways and Delta are on either side of WestJet.

That terminal isn't so bad. The area where Air Canada is located at LaGuardia is seriously sad and depressing.

WestJet flies only to Canada from LaGuardia - they do not have any internal flights. You'll check in with WestJet and hand off your baggage. You'll queue with all the Delta and US Airways passengers for TSA. There isn't a separate queue for people going to Canada.

Remember, LaGuardia does not have any overseas flights - only Canada. All border crossing formalities are handled in Canada (never at LaGuardia). WestJet will check your passport and ensure you won't get rejected by Canada. Airlines pay penalties for bringing passengers into a country where they can't be admitted and must be turned around. WestJet will "check" you before you board and you'll handle everything with the Canadian authorities when you land in Canada. Returning to the U.S., you handle all U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement formalities in Canada.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

westjet.com/guest/…times.shtml

8. Re: When to arrive at airport for international flight LaGuardia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:17