We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone taken Amtrak or Bus to Montreal recently?

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone taken Amtrak or Bus to Montreal recently?

Airplane from new york to montreal is pretty high cost. Amtrak I see its $65 only but theres only one trip a day and it departs at 8:15am and arrives at 7:06pm. Has anyone who taken the amtrak can tell me how long it took all together? Surely it takes longer than 11 hours and thus 7:06pm is incorrect? I also read that if you take amtrak, customs would check every single person inside the train for 1 hour plus? So that would mean even though arrival at montreal is 7:06pm, then one doesn't really get out of the airport till 8:30pm? How early would you need to be at penn station to check in? I assume you have to get there 30 minutes early just to be safe? Is that train ever full?

I did read that the only good thing about amtrak is the ride is beautiful. Can someone who took it can give their experience?

Also,

Has anyone taken a bus recently from nyc to montreal? I see the bus that goes is trailwaysny. Its $86.50 and the ride is about 8 hours which is 3 hour less than the train. But is it accurate? How long does the border crossing take? I think it would be shorter than a train? Also i see they have a lot of buses that go daily. Such as they have one at 12:01am that leaves and gets to montreal at 7:55am. Then you have ones in the morning like at 9:00am and get there at 5:05pm. Can someone tell me how the bus trip feel? I read some ppl say it suck because its many hours and you can't really move around because its a bus unlike the train. So a 5:05pm arrival time mean you are probably done with border patrol crossing by 6:30pm?

Another question I have is how early do you need to be there to get a seat? For example if you want to take the 9:00am bus, does that mean you need to get there at 8:00AM? I know penn station always have a very long line for many buses. Thus if you are on the long line and then no more space, you basically wait for the next one available right? I'm wondering for the earliest bus at 8:00am, how early do people wait in line? What time arrival would be safe where you don't have to worry about not getting in and having to take 9:00am bus etc.

Does anyone know which time slot generally has the least amount of people?

And would you recommend bus or amtrak if only these two options? I read reviews from people but those reviews were very old ones. Would like to know if anyone took it recently and can give opinion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone taken Amtrak or Bus to Montreal recently?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5395760…

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone taken Amtrak or Bus to Montreal recently?

Border control on Amtrak is at the border. You'd have no additional wait on arrival in Montreal.

BTW - It's different if you take Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. On that route you clear Canadian Customs in the Vancouver station.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone taken Amtrak or Bus to Montreal recently?

I see but that thread is pretty old and not much replies. Anyone else taken it recently?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone taken Amtrak or Bus to Montreal recently?

You already have your answers.

The train takes 11 hours. Amtrak doesn't publish a schedule that says 11 hours if it takes 14 hours. It generally takes 11 hours. The train ride is very very slow but very scenic. That hasn't changed in 25+ years. Still slow. Still scenic. Border crossing formalities are handled at Rouses Point NY entering the U.S. and it takes as long as it takes to check all documents. On quiet days, it may take a little less time and the train waits until the scheduled time. On busy days, it may take longer and the train may be a bit late.

The bus is faster. It is less comfortable and less scenic. Everybody has to get off the bus at the border and be processed. Sometimes it goes quickly. Sometimes it doesn't go as quickly.

Buses leave from Port Authority Bus Terminal. You begin queuing as early as you like. You should be there 30 minutes before. You can get there more or less than 30 minutes in advance but this will impact your seating priority. Same with Amtrak. At Penn Station, Amtrak checks travel documents so you really ought to arrive at least 30 minutes prior. You purchase a reserved ticket on Amtrak's trains so no you will not get left behind if you're there in time. It isn't like a commuter train or subway that gets so full you can't get on sometimes - as long as you have your ticket that you purchased in advance, you'll get on the train.

5. Re: Has anyone taken Amtrak or Bus to Montreal recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:17