We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with choosing Hotel location please

Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Help with choosing Hotel location please

Travelling as a couple with a 13 yr old in mid december

Things we want to do for sure are

Staten island ferry

FAO Swarchz

911 Memorial

Times Square

Rockerfeller Centre

Affordable shopping

Looked at Hotels in our budget in Upper west/upper east/lower east and broadway.

Where would be best to get about easily.

Ive not got much idea about NY at all so excuse the question!

Any advice would be fab.

Mentioned in this post
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,641 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,057 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

Anywhere in Manhattan close to the subway is a good location. Pick the nicest hotel for your needs and budget.

If you give us your exact dates, nightly budget in USD and bedding requirements, we can give suggestions.

Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

The one that seems to be standing out for our budget (booking as a package with low cost holidays) is the Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho at £580 for 3 nights including Aer lingus Manchester flights at good times.

Others weve considered as we are on a limited budget (rather spend on shopping than a room) are Courtyard by marriot upper east side

Hotel Belleclaire

Marrakech hotel on broadway

Holiday inn 31st midtown

Mentioned in this post
SoHo
SoHo
3,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Belleclaire
Hotel Belleclaire
3,932 Reviews
New York City, NY
Marrakech Hotel
Marrakech Hotel
1,689 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,526 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

As kate says, if you plot the things you list on a map like

maps.google.com

you'll see they're all over the city so no one location is going to be substantially better than another. You'll need to use the subway to get around so staying near a subway station is firs priority and then finding something within your budget with the amenities and bed requirements you need is second. You can then start narrowing options based on location etc. With 3 to a room, finding hotels with 2 queen beds vs. the more typical 2 doubles is one good way to start. The Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn Times Square North are 2 popular family hotels in a good location with large rooms with 2 queen beds. The Best Western Herald Square is a somewhat newer hotel that also has 2 queens and often better pricing. The Hampton Inn Chelsea and the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea are some other options.

Mentioned in this post
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North
Hampton Inn...
5,837 Reviews
New York City, NY
Herald Square
Herald Square
225 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea
Hampton Inn...
2,032 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Hilton Garden Inn New...
2,165 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,526 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

Sorry, Ian, I didn't see your post before I posted. The Howard Johnson Soho is a newish hotel getting good reviews here and seems fine. The Marrakech is NOT fine. The Belleclaire is in a nice family friendly area called the upper west side near Central Park and would also be a good option. Have you checked to make sure buying an air/hotel pkg. is indeed saving you money? Imo, it's better to buy airfare directly from the airline if you can. That may also give you more hotel options. I'd also try for nonstop flights.

kayak.com

skyscanner.net

are good sites for checking airfare.

kayak.com

quikbook.com

booking.com

for checking hotel prices

Mentioned in this post
SoHo
SoHo
3,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
Marrakech Hotel
Marrakech Hotel
1,689 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Belleclaire
Hotel Belleclaire
3,932 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,238 Reviews
New York City, NY
Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

Yes we have checked separately and no saving if anything slightly more expensive.

The Holiday inn 31st midtown seems well rated on here also.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,526 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

Yes, forgot that one. And it would be considered the most central of these and they claim to have rooms with 2 queen beds (like your kings) vs. the more typical 2 doubles (like your queens) that you'll find at the others. That said, you might get a room with queen or king bed and a roll away bed for your child. I'd check that if you can. From whom is the pkg.?

I assume you realize Aer Lingus has no nonstop flights so you'll be changing planes. For a short trip, it's not something I normally recommend but with AL, you generally clear US immigration at the plane change before arriving in NYC which is a time saver usually.

Mentioned in this post
Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

Yes changing at Shannon but still get to NYC at 1325 so good arrival time, package with lowcostholidays seem the cheapest and decent reviews.

Would have liked to fly direct but my old man's paying for us so don't really want to up the cost for him too much, could add the extra myself but my wife I'm sure would prefer extra shopping money lol.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,526 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

Imo, it's very dangerous to book this type of trip, esp. if it's very far in advance. These cos. hold your money and then if they happen to go out of business in the interim, you're out of luck. You should also check to make sure the price includes checked baggage. It often doesn't and people wind up paying the same or more than they would had they booked it themselves separately. Unless this saves a TON of money, I absolutely wouldn't do it. Just yesterday someone came on the forum having lost most of their money to another co. that went out of business.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6786374…

9. Re: Help with choosing Hotel location please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:17