We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

edinburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

Hi, my husband and I are coming to New York to celebrate my 40th. Our first trip without our 3 kids and my first ever visit to America. It's a lifetime ambition to visit so the stakes are high!

I have a hitlist of what I want to see (MOMA, Met, Central Park, Frick) and good food & classic New York dining experiences are also

Important to me - and cocktails too!

So after all that my question is where should we stay. A friend recommended the Meatpacking district for the restaurants but the reviews on here of the Standard etc sound like a night club with rooms. We're tempted by the luxury of some midtown hotels (the Langham) but worry that we'd be in the wrong location for a choice of restaurants & a neighbourhood vibe.

It's unlikely we'll be doing this again - at least until my 50th - we want to get it right. We're staying for 3 nights so are wanting to cram the experiences in! Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

I'm staying in Greenwich Village at the moment. Washington Square Hotel. GREAT location! Walking distance to west village, soho, Tribeca, East Village, Chelsea & if you really want to & I have, it's walkable all the way to lower east side & financial district. Plenty of restaurants & cafes in the Village as well as in the nearby neighbourhoods. I have not eaten once in midtown yet. Subway station just around the corner & very easy to navigate. It doesn't take me more than 20min to get to the theatre district in the evenings too. If I were to come back to NYC. I'd choose this hotel again or possibly another somewhere in lower manhattan.

Midtown is busy, busy, busy. Lots of tourists & loud.

I'd suggest this neighbourhood or Soho. More options in soho.

Whichever area you decide on I'm sure it will be the right one for you & hubby :)

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

As long as you choose a spot NOT in midtown but on a major subway line you will be happy..... We enjoyed the Upper West Side...... Beacon Hotel..... check it out..... We stayed in an apartment, but we were there for a month....

Posted photos and notes:

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

Happy Birthday!

I think the choice of a hotel is a hard one, but there are lots of hotel experts here who will guide you.

I can only say that we visited last October. It was my second trip and my husband's first trip. We are your age and stayed at the Trump SoHo. The hotel was lovely but it was way to trendy for us. I have a friend who stayed at the Standard and she said the same thing. I want something lovely and elegant without too much of a vibe.

My husband and I are visiting the City again in five weeks (yay!!) and after lots of discussion with the wonderful people here (especially NY Whiz, who knows everything about NYC) we are staying at the Trump International. I had also looked at the London NYC. That area would be very handy to you considering the places you want to visit. It is a step away from midtown, but much closer to everything. As much as I liked SoHo and surrounds, I don't think I would stay there again, and I wouldn't pick it for a first trip.

Have a wonderful time!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

There's no one right location. I don't know what your perception of classic NYC restaurants are. I think picking the right hotel is more important or at least a hotel near some of the places you'd like to eat or with a restaurant inside the hotel that appeals to you. That said, the meatpacking district doesnt sound like what you want. Maybe the NoMad with their restaurant. Maybe the Surrey hotel near all the museums and with Cafe Boulud. Maybe the Giiraffe hotel near Gramercy Tavern and Eleven Madison Park. Maybe the Elysee hotel with the Monkey Bar and near MOMA. You haven't said when or what your budget is either.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

Thanks for the replies. Giving me some new directions to look. We're arriving 13th September. I shld have said - our budget is quite high as its such a one off experience $300-$500 (max!) a night.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

Lived in NYC for 20 years. Given what is on your list of things to do and only 3 days,I'd vote for the Elysee Hotel in Midtown. You can walk to everything on your list.It is small with a wonderful breakfast and the location and ambiance capture the essence of old NY. In addition to the Monkey Bar that is in the Elysee,spots for cocktails /dinner that also capture "classic" NY are Oak Bar in Plaza Hotel , Four Seasons Restaurant, Café Caryle/Bemelman's Bar, all walking distance from the Elysee. If you want young, hip and trendy , hotels and restaurants in lower Manhattan would fit the bill

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

I generally leave hotel things to nywhiz. Nobody knows more about hotels than nywhiz

Here is what I can tell you. First - I am biased. I have lived in and around Greenwich Village my entire life and it is where I love to spend my time. Washington Square Park is my natural high. I can't get enough of the fountain. I get stopped by tourists all the time wanting me to take their picture and I reposition them in my favorite spots for the best pictures with the fountain and with the arch. I take some nice pictures with their iPhones. I especially love when they seem a bit hesitant - OMG I hope he doesn't try to steal my iPhone. I show them my iPhone 5 and point out how it is better than their iPhone 4S and that puts their mind at ease. Anyway... Washington Square Park. Love it.

The Washington Square Hotel is so awesome. It is in the heart of Greenwich Village. It isn't super luxury but it puts you in the heart of the most desirable part of NYC. The park is outside your door. You'll be able to go to Caffe Dante in the evening for gelato and some of the best desserts in the world. It is just a hole in the wall kind of place but it exudes charm and I love sitting outside and watching the world go by.

8th Street is home to several of my favorite places in NYC. 8th St. Wine Cellar is quite possibly the world's most charming wine bar. Difficult to find but well worth it. You get to the address and naturally you look up and there's no wine bar. 8th St. Wine Cellar is a few steps down (look down). So charming.

Insomnia Cookies on 8th St. is excellent.

Mario Batali's Otto Enoteca is at 8th St. / 5th Avenue. Great food at reasonable prices and incredible Italian wines.

Top celebrities live in a super luxury building at 10th St. and University Place. It isn't uncommon to pick up magazines and read about some top Hollywood actors favorite things in New York City - it is always the Amorino gelato store on 10th St. & University, Agata & Valentina fine foods on University between 10th and 11th. and they seem to like the bagel store on University between 9th and 10th Streets.

My favorite for gelato is actually Grom on Bleecker Street west of 6th Avenue. I love taking my gelato and sitting outside in Father Demo Square. I love the little fountain in Father Demo Square. Its just a really fun little spot to sit outside and soak up the beautiful city and all the energy around you.

Another good option for you to consider is the brand new Hyatt hotel in Union Square. It is roughly $340. USD per night (plus taxes) for your dates. It is brand new. It has a good restaurant and outdoor space. Union Square Park is another great spot. You're two very short blocks from University Place (so not far). You are a bit more distant to places like Grom for instance but you are still close to Amorino. Union Square is incredibly busy - it has a much younger and more lively energy than uptown.

To me, Midtown feels very corporate (and that isn't a bad thing but I work in Corporate America and it isn't what I'm seeking when I go on holiday). The Financial District feels more Corporate than Midtown.

The Upper West Side (Beacon Hotel) is excellent. I'm biased - I do head up to the Upper West Side for wine bars and restaurants but I'm Greenwich Village through and through. To me, the Upper West Side is much much quieter (people on the Upper West Side will probably agree and tell you that is what they like about it). The Upper West Side is a great neighborhood for families - that isn't really what I'm looking for.

Greenwich Village is not quiet. I thrive on how busy it is. If you want quiet, go Upper West. If you want lively, go Greenwich Village.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

My favorite luxury hotel in the city as far as location goes is probably the Chatwal. If you look on Hotwire for your dates, there is a 5-star hotel in the Times Square - Theater District for $460/night...that is the Chatwal. Excellent boutique hotel, very small and prestigious, amazing service, intimate indoor pool...the best of everything. Steps to Times Square and just a few blocks from Fifth Avenue shopping. That's a nice discount off the $600/night rate on hotels.com.

If you like the Langham Place on Fifth Avenue, it is listed on Hotwire as a 5-star Empire State Building area hotel for $426/night. I have stayed here before, as well, and find it to be an amazing hotel experience, but I like staying about 10 blocks further uptown...in the mid-to-upper 40s...lower 50s. Still, that rate is $110 lower per night than the $536/night rate on hotels.com.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

Thanks. Your replies have been great & we've been red hot on the web this morning. The London looks amazing but would we find the places to eat nearby? The Hyatt Union Square looks like another good option although many of the reviews mention the tiny rooms. So much choice & the indecision is killing me!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Once in a lifetime visit - hotel vs neighbourhood

part of the attraction of NYC is that you dont have to stay (and I would go so far as to say that you shouldnt) near your hotel

I would pick a hotel that suits your budget in a location you are happy with near a subway stop