We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Us open what to wear

7 posts
Save Topic
Us open what to wear

Hi.

I asked a question a few days ago that was well answered and very helpful for me so now I have a couple more question!

1) what should we wear to a night session at the US open? I assume it may get quite chilly towards the end of the matches? We are going on Friday 30th.

2) what time should we leave manhattan to get to the night session? We plan to take the L.I.R.R from Penn station. We obviously want to get into the grounds as soon as we can. If possible we are not going to take a bag as I understand you have to queue longer with a bag.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Us open what to wear

It's impossible to predict the weather now but I'd probably wear slacks and take a jacket or sweater unless the weather turns warm again. We've had an unseasonably cool August in general but it's still possible it could get warm again. I think you just have to wait and see.

I'd allow 30 mins. to travel. It will likely take less time. The train itself takes 19 mins. from Penn station.

m.facebook.com/note.php…

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Us open what to wear

At the final last year, which went on till quite late, I had not taken a jacket so I was rather cold up at the top in the cheap seats as it was windy there. I would definitely take layers as it can be warm earlier in the session too. Shower-proof would be good just in case too.

We went out on the subway a bit earlier than we needed to be at the grounds and had a wander around and soaked in the atmosphere, spoke to some fellow fans, had something to eat, picked up our radios at AMEX stand, did some shopping,etc.

Enjoy your time there. We wish we were there again this year.

New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Us open what to wear

As far as I can tell from seeing what people who get off the train at the Mets - Willets Point stop during the Open are wearing, the spectators all dress as if they will be called upon to play tennis themselves at any minute.

The LIRR runs on a regular timetable. You will be using a Port Washington line train, which will stop at Mets-Willets Point (which it usually doesn't do; it only stops there if there is a game at Citifield or for the US Open.) Once you leave Penn Station, it is an 18 minute ride to Mets-Willets Point. Remember to hold onto your ticket when you leave the train, even if the conductor punched it -- at that stop, they collect them going out of the station.

Here is the regular schedule; as I said earlier, Mets -Willets Point (which is after Woodside, and just before Flushing Main Street) isn't on it, but the trains do stop there during the open. This will give you an idea of when the trains leave Penn:

mta.info/lirr/…PortWashingtonBranch.pdf

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Us open what to wear

Thank you very much great info from all of you:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
487 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Us open what to wear

I recommend showing up as early as your ticket will allow you to enter (6pm for night session I think). Everything except the main court (Ashe) is open seating, so there is usually tons of great tennis to be seen in the outer courts and smaller stadiums while you wait for the night session in the stadium to start.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,416 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Us open what to wear

Here is the Long Island Rail Road's schedule specifically for the 2013 U.S. Open:

…mta.info/press-release/lirr/take-long-islan…

7. Re: Us open what to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:21