We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

Hi all. My wife and I are thinking of a bit of a 'staycation' weekend on the night of 9/14.

I'm trying to see how good I can get for $200 either downtown or in Brooklyn-but-not-Williamsburg. (Don't ask why not Williamsburg. Just trust me.)

Priceline is definitely an option, with some great-looking express deals in the Financial District. But I'm concerned they're just the two Club Quarters, which are ... eh. Similarly, I'm worried that Priceline's 3* in Brooklyn is the Union Hotel, which is - well, look at the reviews of the Union Hotel.

I'll do more research, of course, but suggestions are welcome.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

I see the Gild Hall on Quikbook for $229. Is that stretching the budget too much?

They have a TA discount code if you mention 'Trip' through 9/8. Perhaps call them and see if they will extend it.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

Some other options for you around your budget...prepaid:

Hotwire has a 4-star Midtown East hotel for $199/night + tax. That's the Doubletree Metropolitan.

Hotwire has a 4-star Empire State Building hotel for $205/night + tax. That's King and Grove New York City.

Hotwire has a 4-star Midtown Central hotel for $189/night + tax. That looks to be the Shoreham Hotel.

Fully cancelable:

LMT Club has the Manhattan at Times Square for $200.16/night + tax.

LMT Club has the Lexington for $203.25/night + tax.

LMT Club has the Doubletree Financial District for $200.16/night + tax.

LMT Club has the Andaz Hotel Wall Street for $218.08/night + tax. A tad over budget but looks like a great hotel.

LMT Club has the Aloft Brooklyn for $176.34/night + tax since "Brooklyn-but-not-Williamsburg" is on your list.

LMT Club has the Sheraton Brooklyn for $181.73/night + tax, too.

LMT Club has the Fairfield Inn Brooklyn for $192.49/night + tax with a free breakfast buffet for 2.

LMT Club has the BRAND NEW Hyatt Place Midtown South for $223.68/night + tax. Again, a tad over budget but includes breakfast, is a "suite" and is brand new.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

What is an LMT Club and how do I find it? That price for the Aloft looks delightful.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

I believe it is https:/…PageRegistration.aspx

Edited: 25 August 2013, 23:32
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

LMT Club is a lot like Hotwire or Priceline. But BETTER for two reasons:

1) They show you the name before you book.

2) You can cancel your reservation without a penalty up to 3-days before check-in (on most properties...it tells you for each specific property before you book).

Membership is usually $50/year, but if you take this brief, <5 minute travel survey, they will give you a free membership:

deals.lastminutetravel.com/travel-survey/

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

Apparently I am already a member of LMT Club. Huh.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

The Andaz on that list is the best hotel BY FAR. The price for the aloft is good, but consider the Andaz anyway.

Also, consider PMing Whiz if she doesn't pop in here soon. She helped me find a great staycation hotel recently.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 00:50
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

I love Gild Hall. It's a favorite of ours. I'm also a fan of the Wall Street Inn. Very quiet and a short walk across the street to the iconic Delmonico's.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

I'm leaning towards Sheraton Brooklyn right now. We haven't checked out Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens in way too long, and it looks cozier than Aloft.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night, $200, Financial District or Brooklyn

I haven't stayed at either of these properties, but as an SPG Gold I have stayed in several Sheraton and Aloft properties in the US and generally agree with that sentiment. The Aloft is cool and modern (a lower end Westin property) - the sheraton is more upscale. I'd go Sheraton over Aloft if they're similarly priced. Sheraton has a nicer product, and the brooklyn property looks like it was a 2012 renovation based on the room design which I'm a big fan of.

AM13