We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYwhiz,others please help in making our first trip memorable

india
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
NYwhiz,others please help in making our first trip memorable

My husband and I are visiting New York in October 2nd week and looking for a $250-300 hotel that is very very clean and pleasant and of course accessible to a lot of mid budget happening bars and restaurants...not in Times Square...more like Greenwich or some similar neighborhood..we don't care about a gym or a pool or even breakfast as long as the hotel is pretty and central

We would also like some restaurant recommendations- we love ALL kinds of food but specially interested in small quaint and moderately priced authentic Italian restaurants, fun Tex Mex bars and some hearty soul food in atmospheric places... will also be grateful for suggestions on the best pizza, burger, bagel, cheesecake, desserts, burritos and cocktails in and around Manhattan :)

Please do share other personal favourites too (in the low to medium budget range- around $30 per head)..will be really thankful for all your tips and suggestions

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,085 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Hotel
Greenwich Hotel
546 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYwhiz,others please help in making our first trip memorable

It's important to provide exact dates when asking for hotel recs within a particular budget. Hotel prices fluctuate from one day to the next. "The second week" is a little bit vague as to exactly when you are coming and going.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYwhiz,others please help in making our first trip memorable

Sorry, just posted this in the wrong place. I hope the live links work.

There are very few hotels in Greenwich Village at all. The Jade is a relatively new one but likely too pricey at that time of year. Most people don't realize hotel prices in NYC really fluctuate wildy by date (supply and demand) and mid Oct. is unfortunately pricey.

wshotel.com

is very basic with small rooms but in an excellent attractive location in the village. (Notice we call Greenwich Village the village, not Greenwich which NYers think of as a town in Connecticut).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93382-R…

If that doesn't appeal to you, there are plenty of locations in Manhattan that are not Times Square. The Wyndham Garden Inn Chinatown is a relatively new modern hotel with nice rooms. The location is somewhat off the beaten tourist track but near a lot of good eating, not just Chinese. It gets very good reviews here

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d2622936…

There is LOADS of information already on the forum about all the food choices you list and the search engine is pretty good. Put the words in one of the boxes next to search and click search. The threads will come up by "relevance". To find the most recent threads, change relevance to date. So for example, the results by date of best pizza is here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=5&geo=60763&scope=2&q=best+pizza&pid=34633&s=D

Poster Ziggy does a food blog here

eatingwithziggy.com

seriouseats.com

is a good website for lists of best of and by area.

eater.com

is also very good.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 15:53
Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,495 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Hotel
Greenwich Hotel
546 Reviews
New York City, NY
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Times Square
Times Square
44,085 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYwhiz,others please help in making our first trip memorable

Hi there,

For hotels, you might want to look at the following hotels that are in your budget range and had good ratings and in a good central location to many cool neighborhoods:

1) Hampton Inn Manhattan Soho (check it out on hotels.com as well as tripadvisor for reviews)

2) DoubleTree by Hilton NYC - Chelsea (check it out on hotels.com and tripadvisor as well)

As for food (in my opinion):

a) Pizza -- Luzzo's (East Village)

b) Pizza - Artichoke Basille's Pizza (East Village) - People LOVE this place but I find the pizza too heavy.

c) Ice cream/Yogurt -- Sixteen Handles -- a few locations throughout the city and it's delicious. The hot fudge is amazing

d) BEST BAGELS - hands down David's Bagels in the East Village on First Avenue. (people will say Essa but I think David's Bagels is the hidden gem!)

e) Best burgers -- I haven't tried it because I don't want to get hooked but I've heard from many that Shake Shack has amazing burgers.

Look into Citibike... (if you are comfortable riding bikes in the city... we now have bike lanes) It makes the NYC experience wonderful. The Highline is very nice... of course there's Central Park... if you do rent citibike (is apprx. $25 for the week, i think), you can bike over the Williamsburg Bridge from manhattan into Williamsburg, Brooklyn where they have great restaurants there as well. The coffee shop Blue Bottle Coffee has amazing coffee, iced coffee and pastries.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Rei

Mentioned in this post
Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Hampton Inn...
1,813 Reviews
New York City, NY
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
DoubleTree by Hilton...
2,652 Reviews
New York City, NY
East Village
East Village
100 Reviews
New York City, NY
Artichoke Basille's Pizza
Artichoke Basille's Pizza
386 Reviews
New York City, NY
Shake Shack
Shake Shack
7,089 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,285 Reviews
New York City, NY
Williamsburg Bridge
Williamsburg Bridge
150 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Williamsburg Hotel
The Williamsburg Hotel
203 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Blue Bottle Coffee
Blue Bottle Coffee
150 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYwhiz,others please help in making our first trip memorable

Our favorite is Hotel Giraffe one block from Madison Square Park. Its a lovely boutigue hotel with free breakfast and wine and cheese each evening. There are many food options within walking distance.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection
Hotel Giraffe by Library...
4,119 Reviews
New York City, NY
Madison Square Park
Madison Square Park
566 Reviews
New York City, NY
5. Re: NYwhiz,others please help in making our first trip memorable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:17