We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

Hi

I am coming over in Sep and would like to know where in NYC is best place to shop for cheap but trendy modern clothes. In London we have Camden market that does all that type of thing and also Covent Garden. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

Huggy you really should head to Century 21 down by the WTC. The designers send all their extras there and it's fabulous! Rather like Camden Market except that it's all in one big department store, including shoes!

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

Listen to FullSailMom - she came here with a giant brood of frenzied teenagers, including some serious shopaholics. She watched the carnage at Century 21!

Other options are Daffy's and Loehmann's. You need to dig and sift a little, but they have designer stuff at good prices.

Also, try these streets:

34th Street bwn 7th Ave and Park Avenue.

Broadway bwn 8th Street and Houston

There's also Soho and the Lower East Side. Hot stuff, but they're not cheap.

http://lowereastsideny.com/

Click on shopping

http://artseensoho.com/map.html

Click on the streets to see what shops are where.

Mentioned in this post
Park Avenue
Park Avenue
389 Reviews
New York City, NY
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Lower East Side
Lower East Side
137 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,330 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

Also, the Loehmann's on 7th Ave at 17th Street has a decent collection of trendy clothing. 2nd floor is more juniors (and trendy brands like Parasuco) and the 4th floor has the Back Room (higher tier designers like Prada, Donna Karan's better lines) at discount.

all over Orchard Street, there are independent designers, but prices vary. Also, Rivington, Stanton and that area has some between the trendy bars/restaurants.

Trunkt at 333 Greenwich is a bunch of clothing and houseware designers in one place. There's also a church in Nolita that has a bunch of small designers on weekends, but I'm not sure where it is (I happened upon it a few months ago).

There are outdoor flea markets like the one on Columbus Ave that have some clothing, but nothing like Camdentown

Mentioned in this post
Orchard Street
Orchard Street
26 Reviews
New York City, NY
Nolita
Nolita
54 Reviews
New York City, NY
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

All of the above are excellent suggestions, but don't forget CHINA TOWN, N, R J,M,Z, 6 and I think even the A,C,E trains go there, heck come to think of it, i think every train goes there, anyway you want cheap & trendy China town is the spot, of course most of the stuff is bootleg, but where else can you get a Louie Vutton bag for $10. I always like to get my shades from there. Enjoy your trip.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
886 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

for trendy and cheap, you'll definitely want to check out these chain stores below. they copy trendy designs.

forever 21

49 e. 14th/union square

50 w. 34th st btwn 5th and 6th ave (herald square)

h&m

1328 broadway/herald square

435 seventh ave at 34th st

640 fifth ave at 51st st

558 broadway btwn prince and spring (in soho)

515 broadway btwn spring and broome (in soho)

162-164 e. 59th st btwn lexington and 3rd ave

urban outfitters

locations: urbanoutfitters.com/custserv/…

6. Re: Trendy and cheap places/areas to shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 07:19