We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long on subway

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How long on subway

Iam trying to plan my itinerary and our first full day we would like to visit Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge and also pay respects at 911 Memorial site.

Could someone advise me best route on subway and how long this should take.

We are staying 339 west 39th street 10018

any help would be appreciated here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long on subway

Have you booked tickets for the Statue of Liberty ferry? They can sell out so it is recommended you do so.

www.statuecruises.com

We also generally recommend that you get an advance ticket for the 9/11 Memorial, as the lines can be long for those without a reserved time.

www.911memorial.org

You can get the 1 or the R from Times Square/42nd Street. The 1 to South Ferry (if so, be in the first three cars of the train) or the R to Whitehall.

I recommend you start getting familiar with maps.google.com - you can get directions by clicking on 'Get Directions', entering point A and point B, and then click on the little train logo to get public transit directions. www.hopstop.com is a similar site you can use.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,397 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long on subway

You have the choice of a couple of trains, so really depends on which of the 3 places mentioned you wish to do first. http://goo.gl/maps/ZOMul

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long on subway

We are going to try and get the free ferry to staten island for a distant view of statue of liberty.

Regards to 911 Memorial just need to know how long it would take from our hotel on subway so we can book time of tickets on this.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long on subway

Budget 20 minutes.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long on subway

I would recommend starting with the SoL cruise, then going up to the 9/11 memorial, and then walking up to the Brooklyn Bridge. As Kate says, get your SoL and 9/11 tickets in advance. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get to the SoL cruise departure spot and to get from there up to the 9/11 Memorial after the cruise, because there is a ton of construction going on in Battery Park and the place is a mess, crowded and difficult to navigate. (I was there on Sunday).

Edited: 27 August 2013, 15:28
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long on subway

**Budget 20 minutes.**

Matter of fact...budget more. I was just including the subway ride but you will need more time to find where you are going once you get off the train...

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long on subway

Thanks for replys on this just booked tickets for 10am as we will be up very early as we are only in NYC 3 nights so need to cram in as much as possible.

thanks again

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,635 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long on subway

Wait, I'm confused. So you've changed your plans, and now you ARE going to visit the Statue of LIberty? I thought you said you were taking the Staten Island Ferry? Or did you mean you booked your 9/11 Memorial tickets?

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long on subway

Sorry this is what we are doing on 6th Sept.

Up early

Walk to Times Square for breakfast

Then subway to 911 Memorial as booked tickets for 10am

Free ferry to Staten Island to view Statue Of Liberty

Brooklyn Bridge walk

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long on subway

You could find a better cheaper breakfast elsewhere.