We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in NYC vs LA, which is better?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in NYC vs LA, which is better?

I heard the shopping in New York is more expensive than Los Angeles. Is this true? The shops I'm thinking about are Forever 21, Victoria's Secret, Nordstroms, Abercrombie and Fitch, Macy's etc. and also designer shops such as Louis Vuitton. Is there a significant price difference or are all the stores priced the same throught America? Thanks in advance!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in NYC vs LA, which is better?

The tax alone will make a difference, each state is taxed differently. I think NY has one of the higher tax rates but with California being broke I think they've raised thier's as well tho im not sure as to by how much. Costs aside I think you'll have more fun shopping in NY than LA, I know we did, plus we found a much better range and all the shops much closer or easier to get to than in LA :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in NYC vs LA, which is better?

Sales taxes vary by both city and state. In New York City, there is no tax on clothes or shoes under $110. Above $110, sales tax applies.

I believe LA has a 9% tax rate and no exemption applies as it does in NYC.

3. Re: Shopping in NYC vs LA, which is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:19