We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Island Holiday Apartment

Wollongong
5 posts
Save Topic
Staten Island Holiday Apartment

Hey everyone.

I've read one of the New York City posts that there is no such thing as a legal rental apartment in New York. I was wondering whether this applied to Manhattan only or whether it applies to Staten Island as well. Here is the place - homeaway.com.au/holiday-rental/…reviews. To me it looks legitimate and it has a whole lot of reviews.

I'm just asking for some advice because I'm not quite sure what to do after reading the aforementioned post.

Thanks!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

It applies to SI, which is a part of NYC. You need a hotel or hotel type apartment.

Wollongong
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

Ok no worries. How come Trip Advisor has a whole section dedicated to holiday rentals in NYC?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

Because they like the advertising revenue that they get from those vendors.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 08:35
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

Legality aside, it's also a very inconvenient place to stay as a tourist.

If you post your exact dates and nightly budget in USD, as well as number of people traveling/number of beds needed, we can provide suggestions.

If you're traveling on a budget, we usually recommend Long Island City Hotels (unless you're flying through EWR).

Here's a list of the best Long Island City hotels, as prepared by TA poster GWB.

The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on the convenience of their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Fairfield Inn and Suites Queensboro Bridge, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street.

Not quite as convenient, but possible, are the Ramada, the Wyndham Manhattan View, the LaQuinta (which is really in Sunnyside, and not LIC, near the 40th Street station of the #7 subway), and the Quality Inn on Queens Boulevard (which is really in Woodside, near the 52nd Street station of the #7.)

The hotels with Long Island City addresses that are not as well located (either because of distance from transportation, or noisy/ugly/ inconvenient /questionable site) are the Days Inn on Queens Boulevard, the Z, the Best Western City View, the Fairfield Inn Manhattan View on Van Dam Street, and the Queensboro Hotel.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

It's like visiting Wollongong but staying in Katoomba

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

Huh? How did you know that???

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

I studied marine biology there

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

Many rentals are legitimate in Staten Island, although that particular location is inconvenient. St. George is better for a stay in SI.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

ziggy knows everything ;-)

New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staten Island Holiday Apartment

As GeorgiaStatenIsland points out, many rentals in Staten Island are legitimate, because the law only applies to buildings with three or more units, but in Staten Island there are lots of two-unit buildings. Ironically, with apartment rentals in NYC, the likelihood that the rental is legal increases at the same time as the likelihood that the apartment is in a place too inconvenient for you to want to stay there. For example, if you see an apartment rental being offered in Tottenville on Staten Island, or Marine Park in Brooklyn, or Bellerose in Queens, it is very likely to be a legal offer of an apartment in a two-unit building -- but it would be so far from the subway, let alone Manhattan, that no visitor should want to stay there.