We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Hi

I am from the UK and would like to visit NYC next April as a birthday present for someone else. Everyone I speak to tells me it's not somewhere you can really visit on a budget and the more I look into it the more it seems that way. To start off with I am really struggling to find hotels, which is odd as there seems to be plenty of choice. I know I am supposed to budget for like £200 ($300) a night but I just can't afford to pay that. When I do manage to find hotels within my budget (which is more like £75 ($110) a night) there are well rated but located in places like Stanton Island / Queens and reading on the forums everyone seems to think it is too far out of the city to make it worth it.

I really would like to stay as centrally as possible, and by that I mean I am happy to travel up to 30 minutes to get to the city centre. Is this possible on my budget and can anyone recommend any nice districts or even hotels that I can start looking at. I think, given my tight budget I might even need to consider self catering facilities if we not going to be able to afford to eat out.

As this is a gift I really don't want to have to stay in a run down place or airport hotel. It needs to be special, and by that I mean comfortable, clean and simple, we won't need anything flashy.

If anyone can help me or give me some ideas on where to stat I would really appreciate it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Long Island City has good budget hotels like country inn, vetiver and verve

your budget is low however - tax on hotel rooms is about 15%

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

The Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City (10 minutes from midtown Manhattan) has rooms in April for $90 a night. That will come in at just about your budget when you add taxes.

Will your budget allow you to enjoy yourselves once you're here?

Edited: 30 August 2013, 12:06
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

It is totally possible to enjoy NYC on a budget. You just need to find a hotel that is close to a subway. Grab the place that BrooklynBridge found, it is a steal. After that you are good to go. Lots of cheap food, great things to see. Just pack comfy walking shoes, free stuff involves lots of walking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

The biggest expense will be getting here (airfare) and staying here (hotel). In April if you want to stay in Manhattan, you should be able to find a room for ~$200/night. $110/night may work in Greece, but it won't work here for something that would be considered "special" unless you find a great deal at the last minute on a discount website or stay outside of Manhattan. Long Island City is an area just east of Manhattan that was industrial and is now being gentrified with hotels and apartment buildings. It's a convenient place to base yourself, but not glamorous.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g48080-Long_Island_Ci…

What a lot of people do is just come for what you guys call a short break or what we would call a long weekend. Just keep in mind hotel rates fluctuate wildly based on supply and demand so if you're coming for Easter or when schools are on break, prices will be higher. I use

kayak.com

for searching airfare prices and hotels.

skyscanner.net

is also good for airfare and

quikbook.com

is another good option for hotels. There are also discount websites like Priceline and Hotwire for hotels (and Hotwire has an air/hotel pkg. option) that are worth checking.

I think the first issue is what you expect to pay for air and hotel and whether you're willing to do a short visit. The second issue is what you expect to be able to do once you get here. Food is much cheaper here than at home but alcohol is not. If you want to go clubbing that's expensive. It says from your profile that you've already been to NYC so you must have some idea of what it's like. I was going to suggest another European city which will be cheaper to travel to but it looks like you've been to a lot of them.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

OK - finding a hotel room in NYC is an expensive proposition. That is the bad news. Real estate is costly here, and hotels are no exception.

BUT - here is the good news. Once you have a place to stay, NYC can be a very economical place to stay:

1. There is no need to rent a car, just get a weekly metrocard and you can travel anywhere.

2. Great Free attractions - Brooklyn Bridge, Staten Island Ferry, neighborhood walks, free museum days, etc.

3. Great food can be had on the cheap. Food Carts, ethnic places, and of course the famous NYC Pizza.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

I would JUMP on the country inn rate - thats VERY cheap even by LIC standards!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Local transport is also very cheap compared to say, London. If you fly into JFK you'd need the AirTrain monorail from your airport terminal to the subway, which is $5 each way. You'd then get a weekly unlimited Metrocard, good on subways and local buses, for $31, and take the subway to your hotel. So your total local transportation costs, traveling around as much as you like (and pretty much everywhere in New York City included) will be $41.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Long Island City is a decent option for you. There are lots of things that are free in the city.

Walking Brooklyn Bridge,

Staten Island Ferry

Central Park

Walk the Highline Park

and many more things of interest.

Accommodation is normally the thing that can blow the budget.

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Priceline.com's "Name your own price" feature might be a good option for you. You'll be able to get a room for cheaper than the going rate. I'd try downtown Brooklyn and Long Island City areas. Check out biddingfortravel.com to help youj figure out which hotel(s) you might get on priceline.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

I wouldnt try it for LIC as most of the hotels on priceline in LIC are NOT near the subway