We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Hi

I am from the UK and would like to visit NYC next April as a birthday present for someone else. Everyone I speak to tells me it's not somewhere you can really visit on a budget and the more I look into it the more it seems that way. To start off with I am really struggling to find hotels, which is odd as there seems to be plenty of choice. I know I am supposed to budget for like £200 ($300) a night but I just can't afford to pay that. When I do manage to find hotels within my budget (which is more like £75 ($110) a night) there are well rated but located in places like Stanton Island / Queens and reading on the forums everyone seems to think it is too far out of the city to make it worth it.

I really would like to stay as centrally as possible, and by that I mean I am happy to travel up to 30 minutes to get to the city centre. Is this possible on my budget and can anyone recommend any nice districts or even hotels that I can start looking at. I think, given my tight budget I might even need to consider self catering facilities if we not going to be able to afford to eat out.

As this is a gift I really don't want to have to stay in a run down place or airport hotel. It needs to be special, and by that I mean comfortable, clean and simple, we won't need anything flashy.

If anyone can help me or give me some ideas on where to stat I would really appreciate it.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Keep in mind that Priceline or Hotwire only work if you're willing to share a double bed. They only guarantee that the room accommodate 2. Not any bed configuration or room size.

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

While you are correct that priceline doesn't guarentee you'll get 2 beds. I've used priceline a number of times in various cities and have often called the hotel to request 2 beds and everytime except for once the hotel gave me a room with 2 beds. The one time that they didn't grant me the 2 beds they allowed me to pay a $30 fee to guarentee a double room. Even with this fee the hotel still came out much cheaper than the going rates.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

That may be true for other cities but it works less well in NYC, esp. since there are a lot of hotels that don't even have rooms with 2 beds. The bigger issue is using Hotwire or Priceline for the outer boroughs (ie not Manhattan) is pretty dangerous since many of the hotels may not be near public transportation. Hotwire and PL are fine for Manhattan with the bed caveat.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Im still amazed how cheap the country inn is for april

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Hotwire allows you to specify number of adults. Three adults= 2 beds.

I do great on HW and PL, especially in Financial District hotels on the weekend. We've stayed in very nice hotels for short money.

Have not used it outside of Manhattan because I'm not as familiar with the other boroughs as I'd like to be.

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Sightseeing is free, so when we went my DD and I spent around 2000 total, and that was airfare, hotel and everything for 5 days. We got hotel cheaply thx to nywhiz advice, and then did mostly free stuff, as already mentioned, , also the Roosevelt tram is included in your weekly metro card.Also what we did for food was stop at Whole foods every evening and get food to eat in room and muffins or pastry for breakfast, as we had fridge and coffee maker and microwave in room. We liked eating in room because , quite honestly, after a day of sightseeing we were so tired all we wanted to do was get back to room and shower , eat and go to bed.So it can be done cheaply if you do not have all sorts of expensive things on list. The MOMA to see Starry Night painting was one of few things we paid for, and even then some museums have free evenings, so look at that too. I think if your friend has never been the sights are major deals, and free.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,352 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Whatever you do, DO NOT use PL or Hotwire for LIC or Brooklyn. It CAN be safe if you know what you're doing in specific areas in Manhattan, but I would absolutely not risk it in Brooklyn or Queens.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

I couldn't agree more with LMV .... grab those CI&suites rates! Great location, you're in Manhattan within 10 minutes, and easily accessed by subway from JFK and all:

countryinns.com/long-island-city-hotel-ny-11…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

You won't be spending too much time in the hotel at all as there is so much to do in NYC. We stayed at the Greenpoint YMCA in Brooklyn and booked the family room so that it was private. It was very close to the subway and only took about 20mins to get to Manhattan. We saved soooooooooooooo much money on accommodation!!

We also bought the New York pass so most things we did were either a cheaper entry, or free. There are meal discounts there too. I must admit, as we were so tired from walking all day, we didn't drink a lot of alcohol so that probably helped us to save money. We didn't go to fancy restaurants, we just chose places near to where we were hungry and didn't feel like we spent too much money on food.

I would spend a lot of time looking for good priced accommodation so that you don't spend all of your money on that. Good luck!!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Also, pre-pay as much as you can before you arrive in NYC - then the only money you need is general day-to-day spending money. I have found that makes things easier for me, you can spread costs out over time before your actual holiday. I'm going to NYC in 3 weeks and I actually bought expensive tickets to a Yankees game. I bought them back in April and accounted for that money so long ago that it's not going to impact my budget when I'm there. Thinking about it now, if I had to pay for the tickets when I got to NYC, I'd be more reluctant and would make the trip feel far more expensive.

I hope the above made sense :)