We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Hi

I am from the UK and would like to visit NYC next April as a birthday present for someone else. Everyone I speak to tells me it's not somewhere you can really visit on a budget and the more I look into it the more it seems that way. To start off with I am really struggling to find hotels, which is odd as there seems to be plenty of choice. I know I am supposed to budget for like £200 ($300) a night but I just can't afford to pay that. When I do manage to find hotels within my budget (which is more like £75 ($110) a night) there are well rated but located in places like Stanton Island / Queens and reading on the forums everyone seems to think it is too far out of the city to make it worth it.

I really would like to stay as centrally as possible, and by that I mean I am happy to travel up to 30 minutes to get to the city centre. Is this possible on my budget and can anyone recommend any nice districts or even hotels that I can start looking at. I think, given my tight budget I might even need to consider self catering facilities if we not going to be able to afford to eat out.

As this is a gift I really don't want to have to stay in a run down place or airport hotel. It needs to be special, and by that I mean comfortable, clean and simple, we won't need anything flashy.

If anyone can help me or give me some ideas on where to stat I would really appreciate it.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Just wanted to say thanks everyone for your contributions on this! It gave me a lot to get going with! Really appreciate your input :)

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Nywhiz, It's strange you think my profile says I have been to NYC before as I haven't, and I can't see this stated on there myself either! Sorry for the confusion, there must be something wrong with my account!

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the substantial information, it was really helpful.

Lydmae

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

How to eat cheaply in NYC

Breakfast

Every, and I do mean every, neighborhood in Manhattan has what are euphemistically called delis. Almost all have some sort of breakfast specials that usually includes eggs, potatoes, toast and coffee. If you are not hungry or are cholesterol adverse, they also usually sell sliced fruit and yogurt. Of course there are bagels and pastries. NEVER EVER order room service.

There are many places that make their bagels. NOT DUNKIN DONUS. Some of the better one’s include Ess-a-Bagel,. Murray’s Tal’s, David’s.

Lunch

Part of the NY experience is to avoid chain restaurants. There is an incredible variety of inexpensive foods, among them Chinese and Indian. Quality varies substantially. If you are in or near Chinatown, there are many places including Big Wong’s. If you are near the East Village East 6th Street has literally 14 Indian restaurants to choose from. There are also excellent Indian restaurants on Lexington Avenue in the 20’s. The East Village also offers inexpensive Eastern European cooking at Veselka for example.

No NY’er cannot resist a frank at Gray’s Papaya who also sells fruit drinks including papaya, hence the name. There are now many variations on papaya and dogs all are inexpensive. I do not think the fruit drinks have ever come in contact with real fruit, but that also is part of the charm. Nathan’s are also very good but they are more expensive.

Pizza is a long lunch standby-do not go to ANY chain, the cheese is older than the kids who make it. Look for by the slice places and try a calzone as well, you will not eat for two days.

Sidewalk hot dog venders are always cheap, avoid the guys around Rock Center, you pay a premium. There are those who wonder about the hygiene, the dogs are boiled and the knishes grilled for forever. It must kill anything that lurks

Free samples are available at Dean & Deluca, Sarabeth’s, and Gourmet Garage.

It is the rare independent bakery in NYC that does not have at least one bread or pastry that is enticing.

so keep your eye out., especially pizza places and the Indian places on 6th Street

The following are inexpensive meals and desserts:

Inexpensive Italian- La Marca (3rd Ave. and 22 Street, only opened noon-10 PM, Mon-Fri), Excellent Food Value

Inexpensive Eastern European- Veselka,

Indian Food lunches-Brick Lane (East 6th S)t and Saravana Bhavan on Lex but there are many others

Dessert-Veniero's, DeRobertis for the frozen lemon thing and cannoli , Fat Witch Bakery (brownies only) Chelsea Market

Brunches-, Turkish Kitchen, Cafecito (Ave C), Clinton Street Bakery, City Bakery, Five Points. Clinton Street Bakery

Pizza-Motorino, they luncheon special with individual pizza is a great great buy, also Lombardi’s (whole pies with waiter service)

Hole in the wall-Stage (next to Stomp) great cheap home made soups

French fires-Pomme Frites

Ice Cream-Cones on Bleecker, Il Laboratorio de Gelato, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Cones and Sundae (East 10th off Third) Ronnybrook at the Chelsea market

Chinatown-Big Wong. Joe’s Ginger, NY Noodletown

Dim Sum-Jing Fung, Golden Unicorn, Nom Wah on Doyers Street

Sandwiches-Dafonte-the meatball tastes like old Brooklyn and where else can still get potato and egg sandwiches.

Tapas-Despana on Broome Street, Nai

Dinner

When we travel we often buy different foods as we walk around the city and put them in our backpacks and have dinner in the hotel room. In NYC you will probably see foods that are unfamiliar. Bring a knife, forks, and a corkscrew. If you are using a carryon bring plastic utensils with you.

Whittlesey, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

If you forget to take utensils as we did, jacks 99c store has them.

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

There are many different 99 cent stores throughout the CIty.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Wow.....utensils on a trip?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Hi Lydmae, we stayed at the Country Inn & Suites and I would really recommend it...good hotel and cheap, don't be put off by the location - it's about a 2 min walk from a main subway station (Queensboro Plaza) and you get into Manhattan very quickly. The breakfast isn't great but it is included which would save you money.

Get an unlimited subway pass, they are so worth the money...and some of the best things we did were completely free - Central Park, the High Line, the Staten Island Ferry, walking the Brooklyn Bridge and just walking everywhere and exploring neighbourhoods like the Village.

I think you can definitely do NYC on a budget!

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

The ones with the little pointy things are called forks and the long one that can only be used by adults is called a knife.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

Conurring with above posters - NYC is not more expensive than any other city, especially that you are on the pound!! I like Hotwire and Priceline, but you need to be VERY careful when bidding - it is easy to get burned. Never use it for the outer boroughs or for anything in Manhattan above 95th street. The LIC Country Inn is great and very cheap - I would book that right now after your flight. And remember, when search for flights use airport code "NYC" instead of JFK in order to capture both Newark and JFK - one is sometimes cheaper than the other.

As for food - breakfast can be had for $3 at any coffee truck. Lunch can be $10 at a Chinese/Indian/Burger place. There are many cheaps eats for dinner such as Thai restaurants (Google is your friend here).

As for going out, there are very expensive bars and clubs but also ones with no entrance fee and $6 beers. We can all advise you on those place.

NYC is not Covington, Kentucky... but it ain't London, either.

30. Re: New York on a Budget - Is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:18