We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best option for buying a subway pass

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Best option for buying a subway pass

Each year I go out to NYC to visit friends and I always seem to miscalculate how much to put on my metro card to get me around NYC and always come home with monies on the card. Now it's not alot, maybe a $1+ or so, but is there a good math formula to use to best maximize my card? My friend I go in with lives in central Jersey and doens't go into the city very often so leaving him the card doesn't really mean much. On this coming trip, my plan is to ride the subway a few times, and take the Roosevelt Tram. I am looking at maybe getting on the subway maybe 5-6 times on my day visit.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,451 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

If you come every year than save the card for the next trip. If it "expires' as long as it hasn't expired more than one year previous, a token clerk will transfer left over money onto a new card!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

Agree^^. Hold onto the card and you can add more $$ during your next visit...or get a new card with the balance added.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

I did have a calculator for this very reason - m4rk.in/metrocardcalculator - but it's broken at the moment as someone hasn't been kind and has deleted all the formulas.

I'll repair it tomorrow....

Should be useful.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

Oops. Double post.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 14:07
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

Repaired. The wonder of google docs on my iPhone!

Calgary
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

MarkM,

Great calc. Thanks for fixing and sharing it.

Cheers

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

M4RKM:

I don't think your calculator is working properly. Obviously what you want to do is calculate the total fare value needed, which you've done. Then, assuming this is over $5.00, you want to divide it by 1.05, not multiply it. This value should then be rounded up in five cent increments.

I haven't edited it, but take a look.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 22:38
8. Re: Best option for buying a subway pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:38