We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does New York have a "low" season?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Does New York have a "low" season?

Hi, we are coming to New York (and Vegas & LA) next year for a month .... we are yet to book flights and are just doing some research into timing.

Is there a "low" season in NY, excluding Dec and Jan.?

This is not so much of a cost question but a crowd question, I am trying to avoid being there in the absolute peak tourist time. We are thinking somewhere between the end of August and the end of October. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

December is definitely NOT a low season in NYC!! Jan - March would be more so .... very cold, or so I'm told ^_^

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

Feb and March are probably the slowest times, but it's for a reason. I don't like NYC in the winters. September is the best month to be in NYC, IMHO. Great weather, not too hot but still warm enough in the evenings. Trees starting to change colors later in the month. The end of October has the East Village Halloween Parade which will have huge crowds, but is also very fun. It's NYC, you are going to have crowds. If you avoid between Memorial Day and Labor Day (summer when school is out) and Thanksgiving-New Years Eve (peak holidays), you will miss the main tourist seasons.

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

As someone from a small place, the place I've listed as my location in my profile is even bigger (very small compared to NYC) than where I actually live so crowds can be a bit bothersome for me. However, I didn't find the crowds to be that bad in NYC. Sure, there are a lot of people and there can be crowds but I believe even more important than finding a 'low' season is to find a strategy that works for you to try to avoid crowds. At least that's how I've been doing it while in NYC.

My strategies include - and even though I dislike crowds I've fallen in love with NYC after my two visits and I tell everyone I talk to about the city that NYC must be the best city in the world to visit:

* I wouldn't for the life of me stay in a hotel in the Times Square area for that reason, for example. Getting to Times Square is easy enough if you're going to a show or (like me) for a quick visit to take a few pictures (because it indeed one of those iconic places 'to have seen') from wherever you stay if you are near a subway. But staying too long in the area is just too tiresome for me. Too crowded, too touristy and just plain annoying.

* Staying out of Macy's. I'm not *that* big on shopping anyhow, so for me, not a big problem. Perhaps because of my low interest, I just got overwhelmed after a few minutes there.

* For my first time in NYC, I bought an express pass to ESB to avoid the lines. Some say it wouldn't be worth the extra cost, but for me it was a blessing to be able to know in advance that it wouldn't matter if there were long lines or not. Seeing the views from ESB were great (even better from TOTR though) and being able to skip the lines worked really well too.

What I'm trying to say is - even if you aren't keen on crowds like me, NYC is nice to visit. Just try to figure out ways to cope with, getting around the crowds or being able to avoid them that works for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

You may not be asking a cost question but hotel prices are based on supply and demand. Therefore, when hotel prices are lowest is when NYC is least crowded. That equates to Jan-early to mid April. Late August is not too bad. The fall is beautiful in NYC but it's also madly crowded and hotel prices are quite high. I also agree with maxisweden, there are ways of avoiding the worst crowds at any time which is what locals do (ie avoid Times Square like the plague unless you can't help it) but as a tourist, the places that are the most crowded are often the places you want to see the most.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

Thanks everyone ... it's not so much the crowds but the queues that really {insert rude word} me. I understand perfectly how crowded NY will be but was just trying to avoid as many lines to get in as possible. And yes, it will be at tourist sites and we will also be part of the crowd so shouldn't complain. I just thought at the end of your summer there may have been a little break.

Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

At the end of our summer (late August) there is a little break. But if lines are what bother you, there are plenty of strategies we can help with that eliminate or lessen the lines. Certain tickets can be bought in advance online to avoid standing in lines to buy tickets. There are plenty of places that won't have lines if you go at the right time.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

January and February are the slowest times of the year but the harsh cold and the ugly bare trees and scorched brown earth in the parks doesn't make it particularly attractive.

I do not dislike hot weather so I think the smaller dip in July and August is a good time.

The busiest times are spring, September (U.S. Open / Fashion Week / more), December (Christmas shopping)

July and August in Las Vegas is extreme heat.

Los Angeles has gentle weather year-round however they have a rainy season (notably our winter months). I tend to go to L.A. some during our winter months and it can range from Sunny and 80 to Rain with temps in the upper 50's. - still beats NYC in January.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

We are from a hot climate ... the heat is not such a problem for us. As we are driving through Death Valley also we probably will be doing Autumn, towards the end of September ... I suppose with cities like New York, London, Paris etc it's impossible to avoid large crowds.

9. Re: Does New York have a "low" season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 06:21