We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York by wheelchair (electric)

Antwerp, Belgium
2 posts
Save Topic
New York by wheelchair (electric)

Hi

I have a question for my cousin. He sit in an electric wheelchair and wants to go to NY next year.

Can anybody tell me if there are any hotels or rental appartments with electric hoist?

I've been in NY but it's totally different when you don't sit in a wheelchair so is here anybody who can give me some visiting information what he can and can't do?

Thanks in advance

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York by wheelchair (electric)

This recent discussion has links to info about wheelchair users in NYC.

tripadvisor.com/…52111125

Getting around with a wheelchair is very doable, most curbs have good curb cuts and most places (hotels, shops, museums and restaurants) will be ADA compliant (Americans with Disabilities Act, our laws regarding accommodating disabilities) Some older establishments will not be accessible, but not enough to make the trip less enjoyable.

There are a few places with cobblestone streets or rougher pavement, but nothing too formidable. Buses, while slower are quite useful. Only a few subway stations are accessible (see info in link above), but a non-rush hour ride on the subway is a part of the NYC experience IMO. There is also a new program for calling wheelchair accessible cabs in Manhattan. (Info in link above.)

Accessible hotels should not be a problem.

Vacation apartment rentals are illegal here, but there are "apartment style" hotels if you need a kitchenette, etc. Most hotels will have specific rooms with handicap accessible bathrooms, etc. This site has some reviews on accessible hotels to get you started: oyster.com/new-york/…

Once his plans become more firm, a post with specific travel dates, budget and room configuration needed (how many people, beds, separate bedroom, kitchenette, etc.) will get you good suggestions from the hotel experts here.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 19:29
Antwerp, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York by wheelchair (electric)

Thanks for the info, and I'll check with him :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York by wheelchair (electric)

I have no experience with electric wheelchairs but my husband rented an electric scooter while recovering from a car accident. It needed to be plugged in and charged up each day.

Please make sure you cousin's chair can be charged using US voltage and plugs. If not, consider travelling in a non-motorized chair and renting an electric one in NY City.

4. Re: New York by wheelchair (electric)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:18