We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statue of Liberty ID

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Statue of Liberty ID

hi

I'm new to this forum and am planning my first trip to NYC in December. My friend has just booked our tickets to the Statue of Liberty crown and it says that we need photo ID to collect them, do you think a UK driving licence would be acceptable? I don't like carrying my passport around with me!

thanks for your help

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

it says "government issued photo ID", Our drivers licenses are issued by the individual states, so I'm thinking it will probably be OK, but perhaps a fellow UK resident can confirm.

statuecruises.com/frequently-asked-questions…

What concerns me is these bits: "Crown tickets must be picked up at the ticket office Will Call window (at either the New Jersey or New York ticket office) by the ticket purchaser." and "crown tickets can only be picked up at the Will Call windows at either the New Jersey or New York ticket offices, by the ticket purchaser holding the credit card with a valid ID."

If the tickets were purchased by someone else with their credit card, that might be an issue, I'd have your friend check the purchase confirmation or contact the reservations department at (201) 604-2800 prior to your trip.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

Do children also require ID to visit the crown ?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

Minors without ID are not required to show ID. nps.gov/stli/…visit-the-crown.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

That's an interesting way to phrase it. My 2 teenagers obviously have I.D. as we will be visiting from the UK but it's ambiguous above as to whether they have to show it. So i have just had an online chat with Statue cruises and this is the conversation:

Tarra: Hello, Thank you for contacting Statue Cruises, your official provider for tickets and tours to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. How may I assist you today Clare?

Clare: Hi, I am from the UK and will be booking Crown tickets now that they are available for August. I understand that we will need to show photo ID to access the Crown so will a UK-issued driving licence be acceptable as it has a photo on it? Also will my 2 teens, 15 and 17, need ID? Many thanks, Clare

Tarra: All guests over the age of 18 are required to bring a government issued photo ID

Tarra: Your UK license will be ok.

Clare: That's great, thanks for your help.

So, officially, a UK licence is OK and under 18s do not need an ID. Now I just have to hope that that is actually what they say on the day! HTH

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

Thanks Clare - that's really useful information. I didn't want to be carrying their passports around all day !

. x

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

Thanks that's great to know as also booking tickets for August/

Hope you have a great holiday :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

Thank you both. It would be good if a Brit could post whether they have shown a UK driving licence just to be sure. I'm such a worryhead I'll probably end up taking our passports even though I don't want to. May see you there in August, Mariah!!!!!!!

Ipswich
Level Contributor
14 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

Went yesterday uk driving licenses were fine

London, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

That's brilliant, thanks, sets my mind at rest. Hope you're having a fantastic time.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 00:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Statue of Liberty ID

I was there today and saw someone show a ATM card.. It was fantastic!! We climed up the top to the crown, amazing!! Have fun 😄