We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway for three days?

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Subway for three days?

Hello!

We are heading to New York on sunday and will be in need of using the subway for 3 full days.. does anyone know the cheapest and most efficient way of doing this?

How much it usually costs and also where is a good place to get a subway map and map of NYC? Do most hotels have them?

We have so much to see and do when we are there I am trying to make sure we know whats what before we get there so we dont waste precious time!

Thanks!

Whittlesey, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway for three days?

The 7 day unlimited Metrocard breaks even after 13 trips, this costs $31 and can be used on buses and the Roosevelt island Tram as well as the subways, you can get these from machines in the subway stations and at a Hudson news shop among other places, if you think you will use it less than 13 trips then you can get a card and just add value and not time to it.

Pricing structure is here http://mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

Are you are going to use Public transport from the Airport?

I used the maps in my guide book, the hotel did give us a paper map and subway maps are available in the subways if you are not going to get a guidebook.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 09:49
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway for three days?

If you have an itinerary then look at it and work out whether you are likely to use the subway more than 12 times. 13 times is the break even between unlimited and pay per ride cards. We were there in July and used pay per ride for our full 3 days. We walked a fair bit and got a couple of taxis too on top of our pay per ride tickets. Having an itinerary and grouping things to do in geographical areas will help you get organised and work out how likely you are to get benefit of the weekly unlimited for $30.

You can pick up a subway map at any subway station and your hotel may also have some.

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway for three days?

Hiya!

I have tried to group things together and I *think* they are fairly close by but it was hard to see accurately as we are using a really scaled down map in our NY Pass books.... So although things look quite close I have no idea in reality if they are or not!!

We do like walking though so will walk where we can.. I doubt we would use the subway that many times as our hotel is walkable from times sq and the empire state building and a lot of our to do's are nearby..

I think we will get a pay per ride... do you just buy a ticket each time you ride or can you pre load a card?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway for three days?

Pay per ride makes sense for a typical 3 day stay.

Be sure to learn how to read the map and learn where the EXPRESS stations are. Using the EXPRESS trains (providing that they apply to your itinerary) will help save a lot of time. You'll feel like Superman!

Here's the MTA subway map on HopStop: hopstop.com/transit_map…

Here's a nice guide with pics: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6634592…

HTH.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway for three days?

With pay per ride you an pre-load the card for the amount of rides you think you will need. There is also a bonus ( I believe it is 5% when you do this) Up to four people can share a pay per ride so there is no need to get multiple cards. ( cards now cost $1 each)

nyc
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway for three days?

There is an app. Mta.com. in regards to the weekly card, get it and use it as much as you can. Its a good deal. Give it away when you leave.

You can get a full map at the times square visitors center free.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 14:02
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway for three days?

You can get (free) bus and subway maps at any attended subway token booth.

Here is a chart to help you decide. http://www.mta.info/metrocard/compare.htm

You may share a pay-per-ride. Unlimited is for one person only.

Metrocards are also good in the Roosevelt Island Tram, as well as subways and buses.

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway for three days?

Thanks everyone for the information.. Its a shame that map is not printable and apps are no good as I dont wnat to use my phone abroad.. costs way too much! But If I can pick up a map at one of the stations that should be good :0)

Is Times square the nearest visitor centre to 31st street do you know?

Thanks!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway for three days?

**Is Times square the nearest visitor centre to 31st street do you know?**

There is supposed to be one at Macy's on 34th.

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway for three days?

Thats perfect thanks as thats not far from where we are staying....

I have printed off the subway map you sent me a link for too and I *Think* I get a subway map with my NY map I have ordered today too.... but great to know we can head to Macys if all else fails.