We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

repeat trip with two children 10, 13

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
repeat trip with two children 10, 13

Thinking this trip to find "different" things to do...walk the Brooklyn Bridge, take the subway up and explore Central Park further...other ideas?

We moved from the area 5+ years ago and have been back a few times. My son will turn 14 on this trip so will try either Mark Joseph or Delmonico's for his birthday dinner - last year on our visit he chose Sparks.

Hotels in this area that anyone would recommend? I would like to keep it under $450/nt. Don't want to stay in TS area, looking for something different, although I would like to be near a subway line - thinking the R train? My husband was a survivor of 1WTC and we will most likely visit the site again this year to pay our respects.

Thinking this trip is a lower Manhattan trip...other than trips up to CP, American Girl for my daughter (unfortunately, can't skip this)...would be great to find some place my son would really enjoy - maybe a large computer store;)

any thoughts would be great - tough to come up with "new" and "different" places to take the kids...

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

The refinary hotel a fairly new hotel that I stayed at last week for 6 nights was excellent, it's on 38th street 6 ave although not to far away from Times Square once inside its a million miles away very peaceful near Bryant park and subway think price will rise after the soft opening once established rooms large for NYC, ins in top ten on TA read reviews excellent place

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

how about the intrepid?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

good idea...don't think we've been there yet!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

You can do better than Delmonicos for birthday dinner. Have a look at TA's Ziggy, the food guru's blog for great ideas. eatingwithziggy.com/category/new-york-city/

Click on the areas of the city you are planning to explore, area you will be in for the birthday dinner.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

When are you visiting? (Hotel prices fluctuate). Do you need 3 beds? Hotels in which area?? Near Delmonicos?? The Conrad (the old Embassy Suites, fully refurbished) is in that area. What about staying in the village. The Jade is new..or the Smyth.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

<<take the subway up and explore Central Park further...other ideas?>>

(1) We had a great day taking the bus up to the northern tip of Manhattan on the M4 bus from 59th Street. At that point it goes north along Madison Ave. It went through so many different areas and we loved it...took about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

We walked around Fort Tyron Park (amazing views of the George Washington Bridge and across Harlem to the Bronx). We didn't go to the Cloisters while we were there, but that's a possibility too.

We then caught a combination of the 1 and A trains to Morningside Heights (one of them has an overground section - love finding those trains in NYC). We had a lovely time in Morningside Heights (thanks Frangipani). We visited St John the Divine (there are tours that include a climb up to the spire on Wednedays and Saturdays) and had lunch at the Hungarian Pastry shop (thanks Litsa) and walked through Columbia University's beautiful campus and over to Riverside Park. Grant's Tomb is just there, as is Riverside Church.

Then we stumbled across the M5 bus on Riverside Park Drive and had a beautiful ride on that down to the Upper West Side where we did a bit of shopping (the bus goes on to Columbus Circle and then into midtown).

(2) Another day we caught a train up to the top end of Central Park (110th) and enjoyed walking around the park at that end. We went to the fabulous Museum of the City of New York (5th Ave and 103rd St). That was another lovely day and a bit different to the main tourist sites.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 22:52
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

I don't think I want to stay in the village with the kids.

thinking maybe soho, tribeca or the financial district...i just need a room with two double beds. last year we stayed in a great hotel in midtown and had two bedrooms with a kitchenette - great for a week. Since we are only there for four nights, i think a "regular" room is good - just would prefer not over 450/nt.

I like the idea of being able to walk to some great dinner options, while taking the subway to our day-trip locations.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

maybe the Sony wonder lab is a good computer / tech spot for your son

http://www.sonywondertechlab.com/

or maybe a trip to the big apple store on 5th

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

The Village is one of the best places for walkable very good restaurants; but choices for hotel accommodations are rather limited. As you prefer Soho, Tribeca or the Financial district, the first two would be preferrable IMO. For Tribeca, there's the Tribeca Grand, Greenwich Hotel, the Smyth and the Chambers. The Smyth and Chambers are very well located subway wise. Battery Park has the Conrad which is all suites and newly renovated with some very good dining within the complex.

10. Re: repeat trip with two children 10, 13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:18