We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to eat dinner before Theater?

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Time to eat dinner before Theater?

We are going to theater a couple of times on our upcoming trip in Nov. Wicked is at 7pm (Wed night) and then another play at 8pm on Friday night. I'm sure I cannot wait until after the show to eat dinner So.. I'm wondering how early to make dinner reservations beforehand? At least 2 hours? more? I know I have to consider travel time from the restaurant to the theater as well. I'm considering nice, sit-down restaurants.

Thanks for your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to eat dinner before Theater?

Honestly it depends on how far from the theater you eat, how many courses you usually eat and how fast you eat. For a 2-3 course dinner, I'd say allow 2 hrs. And make sure the waiter knows you're foing to the theater when you sit down. Many places don't serve dinner until 5 or some 5:30 so for a 7 pm curtain, I'd do whenever they open. It's always better to be relaxing over coffeee than racing through the streets. Also realize some theaters like Wicked's Gershwin are further north than others so dont assume every restaurant in the area is the same distance from every theater. Look on a map.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 22:26
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to eat dinner before Theater?

I would add to whiz's excellent advice that in my experience, I've almost never had a problem getting a table without a reservation as long as I get there by 5:30, especially for the zillions of places along 9th avenue, which is usually where my wife and I go

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to eat dinner before Theater?

Another option is afternoon tea...The Plaza, Bergdorf Goodman's, Mandarin Oriental are some (pricey) options...go around 3-3.30pm and you can order the 3 tiered offering with savoury and sweet things (with or without a glass of bubbles) and it fills you up more than enough...

Other options have been mentioned recently on the Forum.... tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6763…

We went to Bergdorf Goodman's for afternoon tea before a concert on NYE at Lincoln Center and it was much more relaxing than rushing through dinner and we didn't sit through the concert feeling over full or tired from having our bodies working on digesting a big meal.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to eat dinner before Theater?

The restaurants along 9th Avenue and nearby cross streets are really geared for pre-theater business. You could contact whichever restaurant you're interested in going to, tell them what show you're going to, and they should be able to give you a good estimate of what time you should reserve for.

5. Re: Time to eat dinner before Theater?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:31