We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

Work is sending my boyfriend to NYC for three weeks from September 10-October 3, and I of course decided to tag along. We will both be working roughly 9-5 Monday through Friday, but will have evenings and weekends free. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

We both have been to NYC countless times before, and have done most of the typical "must do's" in Manhattan. That being said, The Lion King, 9/11 Memorial, walking the Brooklyn Bridge and a baseball game are on the to do list. I also want to check out the Brooklyn Flea market one weekend!

Can anyone suggest evening/weekend activities for us? Perhaps some things that locals do and are often overlooked by tourists? I am not trying to jam pack my schedule with activities, I want to slow down and really enjoy the city. Also any budget friendly meals/activities will be nice as three weeks of eating out is going to get expensive quick.

One caveat: Due to work restraints we are not able to venture far from the city, so weekend trips away from NYC are out!

Thanks!

Megan

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

If it were me I would be going to as many or these live music events as I could fit in!

acousticlive.com/acoustic_live/Area_Listings…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

On Sept 29(Sunday) you MUST come into Brooklyn for the Atlantic Antic:

atlanticave.org/atlantic-antic/…

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2013 • 12-6PM • RAIN OR SHINE

It's a great time! Good food vendors. Places to stop and have a drink. Walk up and down Atlantic Ave Brooklyn. Live performers. A few bands. Good beer. Locals having stoop sales to take advantage of the food traffic. You can also venture down Smith Street or Court Street to experience Boerum Hill.

Also, at the beginning of the Antic is Atlantic Ave/4th Avenue. The Barclay's Center(Brooklyn Nets-NBA team plays there) is right across the street so you can take a nice photo!

The best part is that you can be back at your hotel by 7pm!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,091 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

…about.com/od/thingtodo/ss/7-subway-tour.htm

I usually recommend people take the train all the way out to the end of the line at Flushing and then work their way back towards Manhattan. The 7 train is elevated in Queens and has an interesting view.

Coney Island and Brighton Beach as one day trip

http://www.coneyisland.com/

nymag.com/guides/everything/brighton-beach/

The Historic House Trust has a number of properties that can be toured www.historichousetrust.org/item_list.php

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Reserve nps.gov/gate/…thingstodojamaicabay.htm

NFT is also worth a browse. http://www.notfortourists.com/newyork.aspx

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,091 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

There are also a number of places up the Hudson that are viable for day trips and seeing a bit of the countryside. http://www.hudsonvalley.org/

(Search the forum and there are numerous threads on various sights up that way.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

If you like wine, there are a lot of events. Get the Local Wine Event app. Many wine stores here have free tastings on Thursday or weekend days.

take the free ferry to Governor's Island - there's an art festival there every weekend in September.

take the free ferry to Ikea in Red Hook, Brooklyn (weekends) and walk around. The Latino food purveyors around the Red Hook ballfields are fun to visit, and not as crowded since Smorgasburg started.

There is live music at Hudson River Park, but might be this weekend only - not sure.

September-October great time of year here. Lot going on. Check out some local sites - NY Magazine, Time Out NY,

Someone suggested Flushing. Another trip is Jackson Heights for cheap Indian or Latino food. I often take the 7 Train to 103rd, go to Tortilleria Nixtamal, then walk back under the 7 train for as long as I feel like it. You could be in Peru, Mexico, Ecuador - the food changes by the block.

suitcaseready.com

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

**take the free ferry to Ikea in Red Hook, Brooklyn (weekends) and walk around. The Latino food purveyors around the Red Hook ballfields are fun to visit, and not as crowded since Smorgasburg started.**

+1 to this suggestion.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

These are wonderful suggestions- exactly what I am looking for!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,091 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

Wave Hill http://www.wavehill.org/

House just reopened after restoration: nytimes.com/2013/06/20/nyregion/at-wave-hill…

Searchable park list http://www.nycgovparks.org/

City Island nytimes.com/2009/05/31/nyregion/31island.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,747 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

Hells Kitchen is the area just west of Times Square filled with small ethnic restaurants. Frequent poster ziggy has a blog on food. He has a Hells Kitchen guide in the section titled midtown west. You can walk to any of these places from your hotel

Eatingwithziggy.com

Some other good food deals in the area:

For breakfast

Cranberry Cafe is self serve with tables upstairs..everything from a cooked breakfast to just coffee and something.

Red Flame Diner

Edison Cafe in the Edison Hotel

Evergreen Diner

If you're able to get away for lunch, lots of the best restaurants do good value prix fixe meals during the week like

Asiate

Bouley

la Grenouille

Jean Georges

Del Posto

Gotham Bar & Grill

Cafe Boulud

Capital Grille in the Time Warner building does a great value $39 3 course dinner (known for steak).

For evenings

Birdland Jazz club has something called Cast Party on Monday nights. 54 Below does something similar on Tues. nights.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Weeks in NYC- Need Help Getting off the Tourist Route!

A trip up to Marjorie Eliots ( http://www.harlemonestop.com/organization/84/parlor-jazz-at-marjorie-eliots). A great way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon.