We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in NY?

Newark
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's in NY?

Going to New York for anniversary...I would love to know places that are a must see, things that are a must do, places that are a must eat, best places to grab a drink for late thirty/ early 40 somethings.....any jazz bars? comedy clubs?...thinking about Stomp, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Grand Central......is there any maps for subway/ rail lines...have done cabs in Philly prefer to avoid....any thoughts on Cacao Prieto, Red Hook Winery? any helpful hints, suggestions, recommendations greatly appreciated

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Must do's in NY?

Thank god for Grimaldi's! Tourists, please keep going there and standing in that block-long line!

Just imagine if the tourists figured out where the really good pizza is to be found, we who live in NYC would be in real trouble...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Must do's in NY?

Superteks, local foodie/cycling legend Ziggy recently let the cat out of the bag re the pizza place next to Grimaldi's...

.....blame him when the queues to that establishment start snaking out the door!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Must do's in NY?

Nah, the really good pizza is deeper in Brooklyn where no tourists go, fortunately for us living here...

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Must do's in NY?

Bryant Park!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
221 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Must do's in NY?

dwy

Get a comfy pair of trainers and walk around the streets.

The High line is a great walk, West Village and Chelsea are great to wander through and of course Central Park is stunning.

My perfect day would be an early start to find coffee and bagels or donuts where the locals go.

A morning walk through CP then cut down to Time Square and experience the madness at lunchtime.

Cut down to the west side for more coffee before walking the High line.

Head down to flatiron and then across to little Italy for dinner. Brilliant pizza at Lombardi's.

Walk the Brookylyn Bridge and see Manhattan from a really great perspective. Watch the cyclists on the bridge though.

Head back to hotel to get changed and showered.

Find one of Manhattans hidden bars - just google hidden NY bars. Superb.

Then eat and a well deserved sleep!

have a brilliant trip.

edinstu.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
221 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Must do's in NY?

dwy

Get a comfy pair of trainers and walk around the streets.

The High line is a great walk, West Village and Chelsea are great to wander through and of course Central Park is stunning.

My perfect day would be an early start to find coffee and bagels or donuts where the locals go.

A morning walk through CP then cut down to Time Square and experience the madness at lunchtime.

Cut down to the west side for more coffee before walking the High line.

Head down to flatiron and then across to little Italy for dinner. Brilliant pizza at Lombardi's.

Walk the Brookylyn Bridge and see Manhattan from a really great perspective. Watch the cyclists on the bridge though.

Head back to hotel to get changed and showered.

Find one of Manhattans hidden bars - just google hidden NY bars. Superb.

Then eat and a well deserved sleep!

have a brilliant trip.

edinstu.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Must do's in NY?

We went to Grimaldi's and were shocked by the long line. We looked at the other places nearby and all had lines or high prices. Off we wandered and we found Front St Pizza in Brooklyn and it was just a normal pizza place for ambiance, but the food was spectacular. Very good pizza. We were not at all disappointed that we didn't do Grimaldis.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Must do's in NY?

Look at it this way: if you found it in a guide as a "mast-do NYC thing" it will be free of locals and full of tourists, so you need to ask yourself if this is really what you want.

I was just in Europe and met some people from Barcelona on a beach and they told me how they are planning to visit NYC and eat in that famous pizzeria by the Brooklyn Bridge (no local ever heard of, btw, I just tend to do my running close by every couple of days so I ended up asking my Brooklyn born and raised friends about it and the lines there and no one ever heard of it). So I promised that European crowd to take them to a real place in Brooklyn where no tourist will ever get to in their wildest dreams, but you can see celebrities eat pizza...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Must do's in NY?

Oh, and just to let the guy for Edinbourgh above know, no New Yorker will be walking the city like this. Besides, real people living and working in NYC these days live in the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, etc) so to do what a New Yorker does these days, you have to leave Manhattan...

20. Re: Must do's in NY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:18