We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

Hi, I have been to NYC before with my husband but this was 17 years ago. It was March when we went, I remember it well. I recall the weather being cold but nothing a jacket could not handle.

This time we will be taking our 2 boys with us aged 11 & 13. Due to school exams I cannot take them out of school for a whole week so need to go during a school holiday. April, May, July, August and October school holidays are way over my budget so it has come down to February half term.

We will be flying with British Airways from LHW flying into JFK. Staying 6 nights at the Hilton Fashion District. Price quoted is £2297 for the flights and hotel.

I have shopped around and I believe this is the best price.

I know the weather will be cold that time of year but it either then or not at all. I have compared a weeks holiday in May to somewhere like Majorca and that is coming out at £3k so £2300 for New York surely is a no-brainer.

Do you think this is a decent price for going at a cheaper time?

Do you think my kids will still enjoy it despite the weather being cold?

Another question, I am thinking of just getting a cab to and from the airport, I believe this will be around $70 each way including tax, tolls, tip etc, I thought it would be a good way to see NYC on the way into Manhattan. I have also thought about the Airtrain etc due to costs but thought it may be more hassle with 2 children, thoughts on this please?

Thanks so much. This is my 1st post on this forum.

For the last 4 years we have always gone to Florida for 2 weeks but due to school and prices this is not an option so to get my fix of America I thought New York would be good.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
New York
New York
United States
Florida
Florida
New York
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

For 4 of you a cab is a good option

Have you tried pricing flights and hotel seperately?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Its £200 more if I pay separately. BA have a sale on which is how I got this price. Looking around it seems the Hilton Fashion district is around £1k for the hotel for 6 nights so only effectively £1300 for the flights which is for 3 adults and 1 child as my 13 year old is classed as an adult.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

Have not really checked prices. I'll just mention that the 2 bedded rooms at the Hilton Fashion District only have 2 double beds which is typical for NYC. There are hotels that have 2 queen beds which would be more comfortable for the boys to share OR a suite hotel where you could get 2 double or queen beds plus a sofabed. The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square and the Hampton Inn Times Square North are 2 hotels with the 2 queen bed option. The HGI TS is a bit more than the Fashion District when priced alone but the Hampton Inn Times Square North is substantially cheaper (like $100/night cheaper!) if you prepay which you will likely have to do anyway with an air/hotel pkg. or just a bit less if you don't prepay (looking on travelocity.com but also on the hotel's own website). Imo, the Hampton Inn TSN is a better location with the boys near Hells Kitchen dining.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Hilton Garden Inn Times...
7,639 Reviews
New York City, NY
Stamford...
Level Contributor
843 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

Definitely plan for the cold, but check the forecast right before you come. I bring my kids to the city during February break and while it can be bitter cold and windy, we've also had pretty mild temperatures that only required a light fleece jacket.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

Hi, thanks for your replies. After discussing February again with my husband we are now wondering whether to spend an extra £600 and go in April or May. So much to think about, my heads about to explode!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

So, here's the deal with the weather.

Personally, the month I find to be the most miserable happens to be the most popular month of the entire year - December. It gets dark at 4:30PM and the sun during the day doesn't give off as much warmth as a flourescent light under 20 foot ceilings. I hate December. I save vacation time for December so I can get out of here in December. Due to personal obligations, I actually find myself in the UK at the end of December so I go from bad to worse in terms of short daylight and weather.

The second half of February features good daylight. No - not 9:00PM but at least there is daylight at 6:30AM and there is daylight at 5:30PM - that's a lot more than I can say for December.

Now, to the cold. By the second half of February, we're used to it already. We're tired of it but we're used to it. February can be a snowy month but I think of January as the brutal month (cold *and* snow)

Yes - the Spring is a world better. Just being able to stand outside - hang out outside. Not rush from one climate controlled environment to the next. Spring is delightful. Much longer daylight and more comfortable weather.

The JFK AirTrain / LIRR is not a hassle. Kids love the train. The JFK AirTrain is elevated and you'll see all the airplanes at JFK and you'll sail above the highway below and arrive above the already elevated LIRR trains. Kids love it. Also, as the LIRR winds its way into the East River tunnels, you get stunning skyline views. So, I wouldn't discount the JFK AirTrain as a hassle or of lacking the NYC skyline / experience. Plus, you save money.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

Thanks for your replies.

moreFFmiles - I have read your response now, thanks for taking the time for all that info.

I have replied on my other thread, I'll have to learn how to close this thread but I'm on the mobile app so don't know if I can.

Anyway, we have decided that February is just too cold so we will be going in May as I love the idea of just walking around and seeing the sights without having to cover up in hats, scarves etc. Central Park in the spring is great I bet.

8. Re: About to book for February 18th-24th 2014 What do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:17