We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Occasion dining?

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Special Occasion dining?

Hello!

*Re-posting in NYC forums after realising i had posted in NY forum before and can't edit or delete it?*

Returning to NYC I my third time in early January for my 30th birthday. Going with my partner and two friends who have never Been before. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good places to eat for special occasion dinners? One person is veggie, and one is quite picky and won't eat seafood. Oh and my partners is a typical bloke who has to have meat with every meal, so no veggie only places sadly! Trying to find something to suit everyone. I have had a look at some places like Buddakan, Daniel and 21. Well actually looked at loads more, but getting lost with it all! Just wondering if anyone has some personal recommendations or reviews they care to share! Thank you in advance

. E

Mentioned in this post
Buddakan
Buddakan
4,789 Reviews
New York City, NY
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Occasion dining?

Gramercy Tavern

Del Posto

Cafe Boulud

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Occasion dining?

Gramercy Tavern should suit all of you. It's fine dining but you have two options. The tavern room is the more casual bar area in front that doesn't take reservations (first come) and the dining room is more formal and does require reservations.

http://www.gramercytavern.com/mobile/menu/

Buddakan is a more dramatic looking space and not as expensive. If you think the menu would work for you all, it's a different kind of special occasion meal-more about the scene and the space than the food.

Mentioned in this post
Buddakan
Buddakan
4,789 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Occasion dining?

As a vegetarian, Daniel is my favorite. You get a full menu with multiple options for each course and you can order what you know you like. Same goes for the non-vegetarian menu...it would be easy enough to avoid seafood. (This is true for both the 3-course and 6-course menus).

I like Gramercy Tavern, too, but there are fewer choices on the tasting menu. When I go they usually tweak the vegetarian menu for me a bit, and I'm sure they'd do the same for the no-seafood person, but again you just don't have the options you do at Daniel. The front room at Gramercy Tavern usually has only one vegetarian entree.

Gramercy Tavern is very pretty but less formal than Daniel - no jacket required in the back, and you can wear jeans in the front. It has one Michelin star and Daniel has three.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 15:10
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Occasion dining?

I also like Cafe Boulud; very similar to Daniel (and just about as expensive) but much less formal. It's delicious, but feels less 'special occasion' to me. You could all eat here no problem, though, and could dress more casually than at Daniel.

I was not impressed with the vegetarian tasting menu at Del Posto - especially the risotto, which was inedible (hard and super salty). The non-vegetarians thought their meal started out so-so but slowly improved.

Both of the above have one Michelin star.

(I haven't been to the other two you mentioned, Buddakan or 21).

Mentioned in this post
Buddakan
Buddakan
4,789 Reviews
New York City, NY
5. Re: Special Occasion dining?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:18