We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

East Molesey...
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

Hi

We are traveling to NYC Oct 20th - 24th from the UK. It will be my husband & daughters first time in NYC (my daughter is 3). I have been but years ago when I was 15. So a lot has changed since then.

I have had a good read of a lot of other posts for some ideas for food etc, we also know that we want to go to the following :

Statue of liberty

Empire State buliding

Central park

9/11 ground zero

Shopping

FAO Schwartz

Coney Island

Times Square

We are planning on doing the 48hr HOHO Gray line bus to help us get about. We are staying on Lexington Ave.

I would also like to do the horse & carriage ride as its my husbands Bday & I know my daughter will love it too!! (any advice on this?)

Is there anything that we are missing?

Is there any activity that would be great for a 3 nearly 4 year old?

Also any restaurants that are really suitable for children / themed? Ideally don't want to go somewhere that is full of kids but somewhere that is child friendly.

Also what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? JFK.

Any help & advice is much appreciated!!

Thank you!!

:-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,724 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

The carriage ride through Central Park is something frowned upon by many on this Forum and worse a pedicab ride is full of hucksters taking advantage of hapless tourists. That said, there is always the bike. There's lots of things to see and do in the city with your child if you do the research.

www.citykiddy.com is a kid friendly guide things to do, places to go, where to eat. Have fun in the city.

East Molesey...
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

Great thank you!!

Out of interest ... Why is the carriage ride frowned upon?

thanks!!

East Molesey...
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

Great thank you!!

Out of interest ... Why is the carriage ride frowned upon?

thanks!!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

Time out NY has a great kids site- if you want to see what is happening while you are here-

http://www.timeout.com/new-york-kids

Also the Toys-R-Us in Times Square has a $FREE Ferris wheel that toddlers love.

Statue of Liberty is best done if you get early morning crown tickets then get 9/11 memorial that same afternoon- it is nice to lunch at Brookfield place or Wagner park Gigino's in between.

My family has owned & loves horses and I have no problems with the way the horses in Central park are kept- and as far as traffic goes the solution is less cars not less horses. Please don't let laissez-faire animal rights activist spoil a once in a life time opportunity for your daughter. Get pictures too, because they may get squeeZed out soon.

Have fun!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,724 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

I am hardly an animal rights activist (FWIW) but only mentioned this as a "head's up" in case you get future negative comments to your plan to take a carriage ride. There are numerous threads on this Forum on the issue. My only gripe about the carriage ride is the awful smell along Central Park South.

East Molesey...
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

MTI-n-NYC, thank you so much!! I will have a look at the site! Thanks for the advice on food stops too!! :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

When you're in Central Park, you should be sure to go to the zoo. Also, if you're in need of playgrounds look for the smaller parks in neighborhoods. They are around and give you daughter a fun break. It looks like you can use Yelp to find them.

East Molesey...
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

Great! Thank you!! :-)

9. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 11:14
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,068 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC tips with a 3 year old for first timers...

I will hang my hat on the side of those who have no problems with carriage rides. The horses have more regulations about their health and safety then my classroom in a NYC public school did. ( we WERE allowed to stay in the room when the temp hit the high 90s --indoors--the horses can't) The zoo is a good place to stop with your daughter too.