We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to NYC....

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First timers to NYC....

Me and my boyfriend are going to New York for 4 nights in January 2014. Any recommendations/advice/experiences would be most welcome.....what are the best things to do/see? How much money would we need for the both of us? We won't be wanting to go to the most expensive places or the cheapest, but somewhere in between. Thank you :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to NYC....

best thing is to get a good guidebook, map and read both the FAQ's and trip reports

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to NYC....

Lucygk,

Welcome to the forum. As LMV suggests do a bit of research first then let us know your interests.

Why are you going there? Theatre, skate in the park? Do you like sport or Opera, museums or people watching?

January will be cold so you will need to take that into account.

What are your exact dates? Do you have a hotel booked yet? Are you arriving from UK into JFK?

Menu pages is good to plan where to eat as it breaks down restaurants by location, price and cuisine and you can look at reviews and menus.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to NYC....

I also suggest you read a guidebook to see what interests you. Most first timers have the following on their lists:

Central Park

Broadway show

Times Square

Brooklyn Bridge

Statue of Liberty

Museum of Metropolitan Art

American Museum of Natural History

Empire State Building

Top of the Rock

Greenwich Village

Wall St

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to NYC....

As others have said, buy a guide book to get ideas for things YOU would enjoy. When you've got a nice long list of things to do plan your days with locations in mind, you don't want to waste time doubling back on yourselves and crisscrossing the city.

The tripadvisor city guide phone app is brilliant. Download it before you go and you can use it while in New York without having to connect to the net. I forgot our guide book like a complete douche but luckily my wife had downloaded the app. It was a god send

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,927 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers to NYC....

For info on spending money, take a look at some recommended restaurants that seem in line with the type of place that interests you, then take a look at menu prices (either on the restaurant's site, or try menupages.com). Keep in mind that you'll be adding ~20% tip and there is a 9% tax. Also think about how much you will drink and at what price point. (you'll tip on drinks too).

There are lots of free things to do in NYC, lots of expensive things (e.g. theater), and lots of things that cost $25-$30. People vary on what they choose to do.

6. Re: First timers to NYC....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:19