We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At what age would you take children to NYC

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
At what age would you take children to NYC

Hi All

I am desperate to go back to NYC, but have 1 year old twins, now I don't propose taking them at this age, although the way I see it people in NYC have children and manage just fine, but hubby is a bit of a misery when it comes to taking them away.

At what age would people suggest is a good age to bring the kids? I know it may be personal preference, but just wondered from people that have experienced the city with kids from a tourists point of view.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

Hi we took our little one, she was 4, we had a great time.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

I think it depends on what time of year you are going. We went the first week of December last time, and the crowds were insane. I'd still do that time of year again, but only with older kids, maybe even teenagers - purely because I wouldn't want to be pushing a pram/dragging smaller kids around that many people. But I'd also want my kids to see it around Christmas-time, so I would wait until they are older.

If you are planning on travelling at a time when crowds won't be an issue, I'd say minimum age for a big trip would be at a time when they (kind of) understand a long flight, and you can keep them calm.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

We used to take them to NYC on our way to Florida . I think they were at school, maybe 7 or 8 before we took them. We have relatives in NY so we used to stay with them and dip in and out of the city. I remember our youngest complaining about how much walking we were doing so I would not have liked to been there too long when they were very young.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

I agree with Stelle that it depends on time of year. Winter is hard with all the layers of clothes. I think the idea of visiting on the way to or from Disney or a beach vacation is a good idea. A few days here combined with an easier more relaxed time somewhere else might be good for very young kids. There's also something to be said for coming when they're very young and still sleeping a lot. It' easy to do what you want while they sleep in a carriage (pram).

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

I think I feel different than most, but when I am on vacation, I want it to be a vacation for the entire family, including ME. Helping little ones sleep in a strange place and adjust to time changes is not my idea of fun!!

My vacations when my kids were very young were limited to a beachside cottage ... mom and dad got to relax, too. We did our first city vacation, Washington DC for when they were 5&7; Southern California and Disneyland at 8&10, NYC at 9&11.

We live just outside Boston so the kids understood subways and crowds and busy playgrounds and such so the did ok with those first city trips.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

And yes, I know Disneyland is not a city but it requires as much stamina as a city!! We also spent time in Hollywood and San Diego that trip. ;)

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

I've been taking my kids away since my daughter was 1, including London, Cairo and other cities. She always seemed to enjoy the trips and I wouldn't avoid going somewhere because of having young children/babies (having said that the most flying time we did with her was about 5 hours). My son on the other hand was 4 and much harder to occupy!

I'm taking my daughter (who'll be 8) to New York in March and I think that's a perfect age for her to truly appreciate it, but as I said, I wouldn't have avoided taking her to NYC at a younger age if that's where I'd really wanted to go at the time. Life's to short.

london
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

We took our 2 kids on international holidays from 18 months onwards. We had fun and the kids were fine on flights as we were used to traveling locally (including short flights). We avoided hotel rooms where possible - having an apartment or ideally a house with small garden worked the best, with kitchen, washing machine etc. We did child friendly things like zoos, kids sections in museums, swimming, parks and not long shopping trips. We did several trips to USA, Sri Lanka, even Sydney. Keep in mind the trips are for the adults as the kids are happy with you spending quality time with them anywhere. Of course now that they are teens, they do not remember anything about these holidays and are insisting we go back to all these places so that they can appreciate them. So I planning a trip to DC and New York!Hope this helps.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

It depends a lot on the children and how they travel. We used to go away with my friend and her family when we all had small children. That stopped pretty quickly because my friend had to spend all her time in the hotel for naps, and down time. They had a strict schedule. My young one was happy to be in a backpack, taking his nap on my shoulder when we were out and about. My preschooler was fine going with us to do grownup things so long as he got time sitting in a park with a snack in between. I do agree that winter would be difficult, though.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,412 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: At what age would you take children to NYC

It's really very down to how YOU (and that includes your husband) travel, and how you want to travel. My husband and I have been traveling with out son since he was 11 weeks, and we'll be off for two weeks in Asia in a few months when he's 18 months. Vacations aren't the same now, but neither are we. We don't expect him to get a lot out of our Asia trip, but we see no reason we can't bring him with us. But we're easy-going people when it comes to travel, and we're light packers, even with a baby. (I still don't check luggage.) You have to manage your schedule realistically, and work in nap and snacktimes. You have to be willing to split up in the evenings if one person wants to see a show, and the other person puts the children to bed, and then reverse the second night. There are ways to manage it, but it's about whether it's worth it to you.

So, all that said, there's no reason New York has to wait just because they're small, unless YOU don't want to travel with them while they're small. Babies live all over the world, including in New York City.