We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloody Mary's and Pint glasses

Hayward, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bloody Mary's and Pint glasses

My boyfriend is a huge fan of Bloody Mary's. I thought it would be fun to see if we can find a good one in NYC. I looked up King cole bar and it looks closed :(. Any recommendations?

Also, I collect pint glasses but not your typical souvenir shops. I'd like to get a nice one from a pub. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bloody Mary's and Pint glasses

I think you will find King Cole closed for one month of renovations. Drinks there were in the $22 range before it closed. But they were worth it. Bloody Mary's are particularly popular at Sunday Brunch. There is such a cocktail revival these days that I'm sure someone who drinks them will make a suggestion here. Some places are likely to roast their own tomatoes and use no canned juice - especially at this time of year.

I don't think there is a big market in pint glasses here. It would be particularly uncommon to have the logo of the establishment. But since there are a few craft breweries in the area, maybe you have a chance. Honestly one issue is that storage space is so dear that no one wants cases of glasses for sale sitting around. It's more important to have cases of Vodka sitting around!

May I suggest that you add a Country or State to your online profile? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bloody Mary's and Pint glasses

Yes - good Bloody Marys are easy to find. Cocktail lounges, places that specialize in rye or bourbon or $200 glasses of whiskey are very popular now so it shouldnt be hard to find. Im not big on brunch (too much wine swilling the night before) but I cant think of a bad Bloody I've had anywhere, and that would be my brunch drink of choice.

I would imagine the Plaza bars, or the Monkey Bar make great Bloody Marys if you want to stick with that neighborhood. Pegu sort of sucks unless you're under 26, but they probably make a decent Bloody Mary.

Luckily, I no longer work in midtown, down the block from the St Regis or I would check for you. On their site, it appears to be open.

suitcaseready.com

Hayward, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bloody Mary's and Pint glasses

Thanks! I updated my profile. $22 wow! I thought San Francisco was expensive. Maybe it's a good thing they're closed lol.

Definitely makes sense about the pint glasses. Maybe I'll have to settle for a souvenir one...

Thanks for the help!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bloody Mary's and Pint glasses

Well, the King Cole bar is an architectural landmark, with a huge mural of O.K.C., actually painted by Maxfield Parrish. The drinks are very strong there, and unlike most bars I know, they have dry bar snacks, and a high-class nut/crisp mix at that. The renovation will change everything, so don't rely on my report.

This is near the top of NY cocktail prices, although real specialty places like The Campbell Apartment (even better architecture) are higher. (I have no knowledge or interest in the kind of place Lindsay Lohan and pro athletes get arrested in, so those are outside the scope of this review.) Nobu 57, which I really like, just went up from $16 to $18. But everything is a double there.

There are plenty of $5 and $6 dive bars in Manhattan. Start saving your pennies.

5. Re: Bloody Mary's and Pint glasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:17