We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York trip with Virgin Holidays

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
New York trip with Virgin Holidays

Hi everyone,

me and my husband are planning on booking with virgin for next october for a 5 night trip to new york, staying at the hotel metro.

Has anyone had any dealings with virgin? we have never been to new york and we no we can prob get it cheaper booking separate flights hotel etc, but we need to book things now to give us time to pay for it. iykwim.

Any advice would be great

thankyou x

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
141 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,015 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

I wouldnt book so far in advance

You could book a hotel that you are happy with now that you can also cancel with no penalty

are good sights for slights but I wouldnt start looking just yet

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

I don't follow the point about booking early so you can pay for your trip. At least for the hotel portion, if you book a cancellable room, you won't actually be charged anything until you arrive.

Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

Start saving now and then book yourself. You will get better deals.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

Hi Carly

I have been with virgin a few times and never had any problems infact they are one of the better airlines and everything has always gome smoothly

I can understand booking so early because then you have to pay for it whereas if you just try and save you may end up spending it (well I usualy do). Have a look at British airways direct they also do packages and are very reasonable. I am going with them staying at the holiday inn midtown 57st in oct . Its only 4nights but worked out around £720 pp.and you can pay a deposit to secure it.

I have also booked flight and hotel separately and its not been much less.

Whatever you decide youll be glad because its an amazing place

Edited: 10 September 2013, 19:46
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

Hi Carly

I've just returned from a NYC holiday using Virgin. I booked in Jan 13 for a late Aug 13 trip. Like Mandy I found booking separate flights and hotel offered just a small saving. After booking, I watched the flight and hotel prices over the following months and the prices for both the package and the separate flight and hotel option increased. The increase may just have reflected my choice of flights and hotel and maybe other flight and hotel combinations would have been different. My advice would be if you find a package you like with a price you are happy with then just book it. At least that way you have the holiday you want. Virgin were great to deal with and I'd happily use them again.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

I would have to agree if you see a hotel/flight combination you are happy with then book it.

I've booked the British Airways end of May 2013 for Feb 2014 as found the right combination of flights and hote (decided the hotel using TA reviews as it covered all my requirements), a week after I booked the hotel came off the website.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

I also agree if you're happy, book it. Once it's booked it becomes easier to save (for me!) because things start to feel real. If I had an Oct 2014 holiday in mind at the moment there's no way I'd be strict with putting money aside for it, thinking it is so far away! Once I pay my deposit I feel like I'm on my way :)

Package deals aren't always the cheapest or most flexible but to get the cheapest hotel rates you often need to pay the balance in advance & agree to no amendments on the booking. If your flight out was delayed or cancelled and the hotel was booked separately, its not the airline's responsibility to compensate you for the missed hotel booking. So you do have that extra peace of mind when booking altogether.

8. Re: New York trip with Virgin Holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor