We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

My wife and I are coming to NYC for 4 days after our planned trip last year was wiped out by Sandy.

What we want - mix of tourist and more authentic experiences - would like to explore different neighbourhoods, but also want to see times square, SOL, etc...

Our tentative itinerary looks like this:

Saturday - arrive/check in/get some touristy stuff out of the way - top of the rock, grab quick dinner (pizza spot nearby? Last time Pastafina was recommended but looks like the location near TS is closed), times square at night, etc...

Sunday - was thinking of doing Williamsburg Flea/Brooklyn Brewery/Williamsburg area for part of the day and then Greenwich village later on - Was recommended John's for pizza dinner/Sweet revenge for beer/desert which sounds good, then it looks like the Comedy Cellar is right in the area as well for late entertainment.

Monday - Some combination of Tom's Restaurant (Seinfeld), Central Park, Museum of Natural History, Shake Shack, The Met? - then we have no plans for this evening, so I'm open to suggestions. Maybe TKTS booth at 3 when it opens and a show later on, or possibly the Jazz Standard or other Jazz club which we wanted to do last time.

Tuesday - Will likely do the Wall Street/Brooklyn Bridge/World Trade Memorial/Statue of Liberty early on (lunch recommendation? Made Fresh Daily was recommended last time - not sure its Status now with South St. Seaport out of commission). Not sure about the afternoon, but I wouldn't mind going somewhere to have a few beers, then that evening we're seeing Franz Ferdinand at the Hammerstein ballroom.

Wednesday drive home.

I think I have it pretty well geographically grouped but where else could we go, any great food spots - my wife will want NY Cheesecake, do we need to eat a NY hot dog (Papaya King?), what else food wise? We don't have expensive taste food wise but we don't want to eat anywhere we can in Canada either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg
Williamsburg
1,431 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Brewery
Brooklyn Brewery
717 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,477 Reviews
New York City, NY
Comedy Cellar
Comedy Cellar
863 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,159 Reviews
New York City, NY
Jazz Standard
Jazz Standard
332 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,524 Reviews
New York City, NY
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,370 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hammerstein Ballroom
Hammerstein Ballroom
38 Reviews
New York City, NY
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

Rather than stand online at TKTS, go to NYC & Co on 7th near 53rd & ask for their discounts. Then you can take the discounts right to the theater & save all the standing on line.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

Doing the AMNH and the Met in one day is too much, especially mixing in Central Park (plus standing in line at TKTS in the middle of the afternoon?). Doing just one of the museums, followed by a late lunch and Central Park would be more feasible.

If doing both museums is high priority, you may want to reconsider whether Wall Street, 911 memorial and SOL are really "musts" for this trip. Though you could do a museum on Tuesday afternoon, I think your morning activities are going to go well into the afternoon (but it's not clear whether you plan to visit SOL or just look at it, or whether you plan on walking the Brooklyn Bridge).

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
113,159 Reviews
New York City, NY
Wall Street
Wall Street
2,739 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,524 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

If you are going to Toms then visit St John the divine

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

Thanks for the help, I may skip the Met, or go up that way a 2nd time on a different day (my wife would like to get to Central Park more than once anyway), just a matter of what it replaces.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
113,159 Reviews
New York City, NY
California
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

I would go to the Met instead of the Museum of Natural History. Trust me on this one :-)

Mentioned in this post
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
183 Reviews
New York City, NY
6. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 September 2013, 05:05
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
381 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

Pasticceria Rocco, in the Village, was recommended to me for their cheesecake. It is around the corner from Joe's Pizza, on Bleeker Street.

Then there is Junior's in Times Square for more cheesecake.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 18:12
Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,378 Reviews
New York City, NY
NC
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

We can't go to NYC without a visit to McSorley's Ale House. Hubby is a beer lover and he loves visiting this place, which happens to be the oldest Irish pub In NYC. It's in the East Village. Very cool place with lots of history. They have 2 types of beer, light and dark. Also, when you order one beer, you actually get 2 glasses.

Mentioned in this post
East Village
East Village
99 Reviews
New York City, NY
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

On Sunday you could take the L train from Williamsburg to 8th Ave and walk the High Line, then get back into the Village. Keep in mind public transit is scaled way down on weekends and evenings after 9 or so. Be prepared for longer wait times. Also agree that you can't reasonably experience the Met, Central Park and Natural History Museum in a single day.

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg
Williamsburg
1,431 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
The High Line
The High Line
52,343 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,159 Reviews
New York City, NY
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What New York Experiences am I missing? (4 day itinerary)

Thanks for the recommendation of Pasticceria Rocco, that sounds like it will fit in well with our plans.

McSorley's Ale House sounds cool as well.

Any other opinions on AMNH vs. The Met if we only do one?